The FTR IS NOT a super naked.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
The FTR is a niche bike. And several people online keep trying to compare it to super naked twins and other high performance sport nakeds.

But it’s not a super naked bike nor is it meant to compete with cheap jap bikes.

Here are some stats of bikes in ITS category that are similarly equipped.

-BMW R9T 110rwhp 490lbs $15k

-Triumph 1200 scrambler 80rwhp 452lbs $14k

-Ducati 1100 scrambler sport 80rwhp 452lbs $15k

-Ducati 1200 monster 130rwhp 465lbs $17.5k

-Indian FTR1200s 110rwhp 507lbs $14.5k

There are other bikes in its category, these are the more popular ones. But you get the gist. Similar weight, similar power curves, similar price, similar features. Not so similar maintenance and part costs though.

It’s also very easy to shave 30lbs off the ftr, the other bikes not so much.

nathanw

R9T is a retro naked and the Monster is just a naked sport bike. The only bikes there that are close are the two scramblers. If it's riding on 17" sport tires it's in no way the same category.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I strongly disagree, they are all similar bikes, with handling, features, power delivery, seating position, and market they are meant to be in.

Obviously they are not identical, otherwise what a dull world we would be living in.

But to try and say the FTR should be in super duke territory, (which its power delivery is dismal on the street) is silly.

Unruly Rider

The FTR is a niche bike. And several people online keep trying to compare it to super naked twins and other high performance sport nakeds.

But it’s not a super naked bike nor is it meant to compete with cheap jap bikes.

Here are some stats of bikes in ITS category that are similarly equipped.

-BMW R9T 110rwhp 490lbs $15k

-Triumph 1200 scrambler 80rwhp 452lbs $14k

-Ducati 1100 scrambler sport 80rwhp 452lbs $15k

-Ducati 1200 monster 130rwhp 465lbs $17.5k

-Indian FTR1200s 110rwhp 507lbs $14.5k

There are other bikes in its category, these are the more popular ones. But you get the gist. Similar weight, similar power curves, similar price, similar features. Not so similar maintenance and part costs though.

It’s also very easy to shave 30lbs off the ftr, the other bikes not so much.
Well said, I agree 110%.

Max Kool

few remarks:

It's a great bike, just sad it hurts the b*tts of so many "die hard" Indian riders. It's too tall, heavy, pegs are too high/rear, it's mismarketed, it's not a street tracker, it's underpowered, it's too sporty, expensive... The endless whining of some that will never buy it anyway.

I don't consider the FTR a UJM (UAM?), it's too niche for that. The Suzuki Bandit was a UJM, the CB1100 is one. I even consider the MT-10 or CB1000R too sporty for it be a UJM.

(a journalist once wrote: "it doesn't lack power, it just makes fewer revs so it tops out at 8500rpm/120hp instead of 9500rpm/140hp, but bulks with usable torque all the way through the rev range instead").

Indian is basically balancing the fine line between keeping the current crowd happy with the FTR, and at the same time attracting new riders... It's the same attitude that is killing HD. Boomer has-beens with rusty joints.

** disclaimer, the above was a rant, take it with a grain of salt **

Unruly Rider

few remarks:

It's a great bike, just sad it hurts the b*tts of so many "die hard" Indian riders. It's too tall, heavy, pegs are too high/rear, it's mismarketed, it's not a street tracker, it's underpowered, it's too sporty, expensive... The endless whining of some that will never buy it anyway.

I don't consider the FTR a UJM (UAM?), it's too niche for that. The Suzuki Bandit was a UJM, the CB1100 is one. I even consider the MT-10 or CB1000R too sporty for it be a UJM.

(a journalist once wrote: "it doesn't lack power, it just makes fewer revs so it tops out at 8500rpm/120hp instead of 9500rpm/140hp, but bulks with usable torque all the way through the rev range instead").

Indian is basically balancing the fine line between keeping the current crowd happy with the FTR, and at the same time attracting new riders... It's the same attitude that is killing HD. Boomer has-beens with rusty joints.

** disclaimer, the above was a rant, take it with a grain of salt **

This post should be screenshot and copy/pasted any time those whiners swarm the FTR section with their tired banter on the "other" forum. :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Max Kool

I refrained from posting it there, but the constant repetitive whining over there from a handful of rusty dudes makes me tired and grumpy. I can stay out of TS111 subforums too, instead of complaining about lack of ground clearance, bad brakes, too many tassles and fringes...it's really not hard. 💁‍♂️

Unruly Rider

I refrained from posting it there, but the constant repetitive whining over there from a handful of rusty dudes makes me tired and grumpy. I can stay out of TS111 subforums too, instead of complaining about lack of ground clearance, bad brakes, too many tassles and fringes...it's really not hard. 💁‍♂️
It's seems as though it is always the same handful of people... and they have brought it up over a dozen times, yet they continue to come back for more. This tells me that there is something about the FTR that keeps drawing them back in and they can't leave it alone. These are the kind of individuals that go to bed at night thinking about their geezer-glides only to dream of riding the FTR (obviously something their body-type would struggle with). With complaints like theirs, it is obvious that the glass is always half empty. Hopefully Indian ignores their opinions when it comes to the FTR platform and it's production. These people should stick to riding their road-sofa's to the local bingo hall or buffet.

nathanw

I strongly disagree, they are all similar bikes, with handling, features, power delivery, seating position, and market they are meant to be in.

Obviously they are not identical, otherwise what a dull world we would be living in.

But to try and say the FTR should be in super duke territory, (which its power delivery is dismal on the street) is silly.

Have you ridden a Super Duke? Dismal?:LOL:

Similar? Yes, they have wheels, an engine and a seat. When it comes to this bike, I'm not really sure why so many try so hard to smash a square peg in to a round hole... Why not just be happy with what it is, instead of trying to convince yourself it's something it's not. Compare it to the scramblers ( it's closest natural fit ) and you'll probably find that it outperforms them by a fair margin.

The video below nails it. I love John Burns ( we must be long lost brothers ), and he does everything he can to prop up the FTR here, but it's simply out classed. The reason the FTR gets shredded by everyone in this comparison is because it's NOT in the same category. Had they compared it to Scramblers it likely would have dominated. It's very simply the wrong comparison and it should never have been done. In the end, all it did was make the FTR look bad to potential buyers. It's not, it's just different.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yes I have. It’s almost all upper end. I said power delivery, Not power. It feels more like a i4 or i3 than a vtwin.
And yes that’s a good review. But just a journalists opinion. I have also ridden most the bikes in that review. I chose the ftr because of its ability to make you smile, it has soul similar to the Ducati. Without the Ducati maintenance. And classic styling.

The title of the thread states I know what it is and where it fits. Saying it needs another 50hp and 50lbs lighter time “compete” like most say is wrong. It fits into its meant to be segment. Albeit at the low end of the segment according to others.

The bikes chosen as examples were the main bikes normal people prop the ftr up against.

Last edited:

nathanw

Or at the high end.

Lost cause. You see it through your prism, I see it through mine.

SD feels nothing at all like a 4 cyl to me. Then again, I don't consider 4cyl or triples to have dismal power delivery.

mark.lb

Although I do consider my FTR to be a naked sport bike, it definitely is not a super or hyper naked. Generally super naked bikes are motorcycles lacking a windshield or fairing and minimal if any body panels and having a somewhat upright riding position. Super naked bikes are generally based on their big brother SuperSport machines that are often a streetable version of the brands MotoGP bikes. A good example is the BMW S1000R a great super naked and the BMW S1000RR a SuperSport. Not sure how to categorize the KTM Super Duke other than a hyper naked that just wants to hurt you!
I was attracted to the FTR because I wanted an American made sport bike. I think Indian did a great job creating this motorcycle. They based it loosely on the FTR750. They tapped into their winning race heritage and came up with a street bike that is unique. I have owned my Race Replica since May 2019 and I have only seen one other FTR on the road. I like having a cool, fun to ride bike that you don’t see every day. Everywhere I go people love to look at it and ask questions. It draws a crowd. I hope Indian does well with the FTR. This bike will more than satisfy a lot of riders if the give it a try.

Murdock

In comparing with sports bikes the FTR loose. is this fair? No!
In comparison with scramblers the FTR wins . Is this fair? Also a No!

The FTR is something in between, something different and something rare. That makes it the winner for me. ;-)

K9F

The FTR is something in between, something different and something rare. That makes it the winner for me. ;-)

Agree and question why do people insist on trying to shoehorn it into a specific category and get emotive about it? Just ride it and enjoy it. I am! The thing I do like is the fact you can't throw a stone over here without hitting a Triumph of some descript, BMW or many of the jap bikes. Try to find another Indian is a rarity which gives an element of uniqueness.

When Max first posted up his Vitpilen I was intrigued as that too has it's own uniqueness and admittedly I needed to Google it. I've never seen one before and since never seen one on the road over here. That would be a bike for me if I didn't have the FTR and Softail purely because it's 'out of the norm' performs well on paper with good reviews and affordable.

Murdock

When Max first posted up his Vitpilen I was intrigued as that too has it's own uniqueness and admittedly I needed to Google it.

:ROFLMAO: Exactly the same here. Never heard about Vit ... what?!? I connected Husqvarna always to pure Motocross Bikes and Chain saws. But the Vitpilen is the coolest chain saw ever (y).It would have been definitely a candidate on my list if I only heard about it earlier.

SURLY

Gosh what a bitch fest this thread has turned into my dad is bigger than your dad for fucks sake I bought my FTR because I thought it looked stunning are there faster bikes out there well I traded a Hayabusa Z for it so yes do I give a shit no I am sure there are bikes that handle better once again do I give a shit no its fast enough and it handles well enough fact is I never get tired of looking at it right now I am sitting at a 3 screen computor set up and one of the screens has a pic of my bike on my drive and I spend half my time looking at it its my bike I chose it and I am very happy with it my friend has a Moto Guzzi V7 and he is happy with that we buy what WE want if we all bought Hondas how boring would bike meets be.:p
Said picture and if you know a prettier bike please let me know.

Attachments

• low1.JPG
    low1.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited: