The FTR IS NOT a super naked.

mark.lb

I purchased my FTR at Pitt Cycles in Warrendale, PA. They are a Indian, KTM and as of January 2020 Royal Enfield dealership. They sell a lot of KTM street bikes. The Super Duke 1290 R and the Super Adventure 1290 R seem to be popular in this neck of the woods. I have a friend from church who owns a 1290 Adventure and they take very good care of him.
They also have been excellent when I need my Indian FTR serviced. Finding a good dealership with solid customer service and skilled mechanics is as important as finding a great bike!

D

Deleted member 192

Hey Surly. Here, you can have these..........,,,,,,,,,,,,?????!!!!!!!,?!!.,,,,,,,,,,??????!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,................ .
Dont worry, there's more where that came from!!!

Haha. Just couldn't help myself!

SURLY

Hey Surly. Here, you can have these..........,,,,,,,,,,,,?????!!!!!!!,?!!.,,,,,,,,,,??????!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,................ .
Dont worry, there's more where that came from!!!

Haha. Just couldn't help myself!
Left school in 67 cannot remember what they are for some pointers please :)

D

Deleted member 192

Haha! I knew you would get that one!! I still enjoy your contributions. I know a certain moderator that likes to edit people's posts. Maybe he will come over here and fix you up!!
Post on good sir!

D

Deleted member 192

Now correct me if I'm wrong. I left high school in 89 myself. But it seems like those are used as decoration. Kinda like the first version of emoji.

SURLY

Did try to get my grandchildren to explain text talk this is where at becomes @ and for becomes 4 but there was nothing for fcuk and as a south londoner that left me fcuked.

D

Deleted member 192

I know. And to think that its THE MOST versatile word in the ENTIRE English language.
We need to have a word with the folks that come up with this crap.

nathanw

I kind of wish KTM would have stuck with and continued to develop their SuperSport RC8. No telling what the bike would be capable of by 2020!

Rode them a couple of times when they first came out and I wanted one bad. There were zero dealers anywhere near me that sold KTM street bikes. Shortly thereafter I decided to slow down and stop doing track days, so, I ended up trading my ZX10 in for a Harley instead.

SURLY

And I am betting you enjoyed the Harley just as much as the Kwak I bounce between bike types all the time I traded my last Harley a softail slim s for my Hayabusa and enjoyed the change then traded the Busa for my FTR enjoyed it all :)

nathanw

And I am betting you enjoyed the Harley just as much as the Kwak I bounce between bike types all the time I traded my last Harley a softail slim s for my Hayabusa and enjoyed the change then traded the Busa for my FTR enjoyed it all :)

I still enjoy it to this day. I'll never get rid of it.

Sullaha

It's a human condition to categorise things and put them into neat boxes, saves brain power for more interesting things later on. Some forget they have that surplus mental capacity when it comes to seeing the nuances and non spec sheet derived differences. Personally I think the FTR was made for folk like me but fully understand I'm in a very small minority (pretty much all you lot ;) ) so as mentioned earlier I see it mainly as a marketing thing and I don't envy those tasked with that role.
How I'd market it...

Fun To Ride
F@#k The Rest!

EllenGtrGrl

New Forum Member Here - I saw this thread, and I felt like commenting on the topic. Is the FTR a super naked? Nah, it's like the 2016 BMW R1200R that I just traded towards the Base Model FTR1200 (if the weather warms up a bit, I'll ride the R1200R to the dealership, and sign the papers to do the deed today) - a naked sport bike. It doesn't have the mega power of a Super Duke 1290, and that's fine - frankly, when I looked at the price they're going for at the local KTM dealership, and read the horsepower specs., all I could say to myself, is "with that kind of power, I'll wind up writing checks that this 56 year old woman can't physically cash/control, despite riding since an old boyfriend pestered her to give motorcycles a try back in 1979!" But, the 110--120 HP the FTR makes is fine by me. Its power is on a par with my soon-to- be ex-R1200R, and during the short test ride I took 2 weeks ago (at 30F temperatures - brrr!) its handling felt very taut and sporty, without being razor sharp extreme like a race rep. Throw in the longer travel suspension than the R1200R, and I won't get jarred as much by the semi-crappy pavement, that is all too common on many of the backroads in Southeast Wisconsin, which are my my good time riding roads (especially for my 25 mile commute to and from work - freeway riding is so blah for me to do).

Oh yeah, and I forgot add - it's a sporty American Bike! Not a warmed over Sportster (I test road a Roadster shortly after they came out on the market, and I hated the feet forward, lean towards the handlebars riding position, and $12,000 price for a bike that was at best, on a par performance-wise with the Triumph Thruxton 900 I had at the time [that cost quite a bit less than the Roadster]), not an XR1200, not even a Buell (excluding the 1125R). I am a Quality Engineer, and I remember, at the meeting of a local chapter for an international quality professionals organization a couple of years ago, commenting to somebody who worked for that place that has corporate offices 10 miles north of where I live, that it would be great if a sporty American made motorcycle was available on the market (excluding Buells - they've been out of business since 2007, and even EBR is kind of dead in the water), the response I received was "point well taken." Well, FINALLY I have something sporty, and American! Oh yeah, and it's an Indian!, and I actually have a dealer I can go to (unlike BMW - the local BMW dealer, decided [without fanfare] to shut down late last year, and the nearest dealer support is now 50 plus miles away)!

It'll be interesting to see the reactions at work in the motorcycle parking area, when I start using my FTR 1200 for my daily work commute (complete with some spirited riding) - especially since most of the other riders at work, ride cruisers (not my thing), with a few of them being Harleys. :D

Last edited:

EllenGtrGrl

Get the dyno jet PV3 on it asap big improvement.

Hmmmm, the engineer in my finds it VERY intriguing. I went to the DynoJet website, and saw the listing for Indian. Must think about this...........(muttering to herself, because she just spent a big chunk of change for a new FTR 1200, and doesn't want to void the warranty).

Ellen

SURLY

If you search the site you will find the one big complaint about this bike is the fueling as standard its dire and its amazing Indian sent it out like it and yes the bike is expensive and the PV3 seems like an extra tax just to get it to run right but I am glad I spent the money my dealer actually suggested it I hope you do not suffer the cold stalling that most of us have had its a real pain in the arse on the upside the bike runs way better using a free Dyno jet map there are other expensive ones out there but the canned one is fine for me.
Regarding your warranty if you suffer cold stalling complain to your dealer and insist he sorts it out.

EllenGtrGrl

Will do. I noticed a little stumbling yesterday, riding my FTR 1200 home from the dealership, until it warmed up a bit. Once it warmed up, everything was fine, but I will keep an eye out for cold stalling. I stalled the bike as I was getting ready to exit the parking lot, but I'm not sure if that was cold stalling, or due to the fact that the clutch feel was markedly different from the clutch feel of the R1200R, I had just gotten rid of, and I didn't give it enough throttle (I can't lug the FTR 1200 as much off the line as I could with my old R1200R). Nevertheless, I will keep an eye out for cold stalling.