Trouble with gauges/screen

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
It’s still a sensor in the tank. The fuel bar is no different than an analog bar.
The miles to empty changes based on how you’re riding. With the ecu flash it just reset everything.

Wayne

After some more investigation it appears to be the fuel level sender. Just sitting on the stand not running and going from ignition on to off and on again I'm seeing the number fluctuate between 41 miles and as high as 137. 41 is probably close to accurate since it has a little less than a half tank of fuel. Luckily it is an easy check. The factory manual shows the resistance values it should measure when moving the float from full to empty. Given this bike is under warranty this fix will be on Indian.

JDP

I went out for about a 250 mile ride in the Sierra Nevada mostly around Lake Tahoe. The bike with the V6 ECU ran flawless with no issues. On my second fuel stop when I filled the tank my fuel gauge indicated 159 miles to empty rather than the usual 107. I turned the bike off and on several times with no change. The gauge stuck at 159 for a large part of the ride, it did start dropping at some point very slightly then occasionally would increase as much as up to 164 miles remaining. I made another fuel stop since I didn't want to risk running dry and again the full tank read 159 to empty upon filling. All other gauges are reading normal. I have updated the firmware for the Ride Command when available however I don't think this is a firmware issue probably more like a sensor. Has anyone experienced this and if so what was the resolution?
I’ve always had issues with my gauges sometimes they work sometimes they don’t, the column on the right only shows the time not what mode I’m in or anything, I don’t want to take it in to the dealership because I have the bike running so good and they ( dealership) tend to reflash it when it comes in so I just deal with it

Wayne

I'm taking mine in but I too have mine running the way I want and have asked them specifically if they will try to re-flash the ECU and they said no. I believe I can easily troubleshoot this myself given its just a couple of resistance checks but since its under warranty I want them to check it and replace the fuel sender on Indians dime. I'm running the V6 bench tune so I'm not sure its even possible to re-flash it but it would be all bad if they did.

Wayne

The resistance checks on the fuel sender pass so I assume I have some other type of electrical issue. I will trace it down at some point.

Wayne

I took the bike in to have a warranty check on the fuel sender and when they ohm'ed it out, resistance was was in spec at both limits of the float. Nothing was found and I spent the 100.00 to have it checked. On the bright side they told me they would not submit a service report to Indian given all the mods and the v6 tune. They said that my warranty would have been voided. That is the very reason I didn't pull the fuel sender and check it myself. Well at least it has had it well baby check and all future service is on me. They did say it is the best running FTR they seen which I don't doubt. They also recommended that I consider and spare ECU in case I do have to bring it in, so that I can switch it out prior to the dealer looking at it. Not sure with the whole aftermarket exhaust and mid pipe that it would matter. The more I ride this thing the more I love It!

Wayne

It doesn't void the warranty on the fuel sensor it voids the limited and special warranties on the motorcycle. The tune and exhaust changes are clear breach of warranty; I know that and accept the risks. I would be shocked if Indian's diagnostics can't tell the v6 tune has made modifications which are in the software which is what modern vehicles are all about. The fuel sender is not the issue so it is likely somewhere in the electronics. I would like to think that I'm getting that increased mileage but an approximate 50% increase would be unrealistic particularly when it showed immediately upon filling the tank..

cupcake_mike

Why not just ride the bike 100 miles, fill the tank and do some old fashioned math to determine your mpg. For a guy that likes a "good, old analog gauge", you sure seem to be making this very complicated.

edgelett

Yep.

I always reset my trip when ever I ride. I know once I get close to 100 miles I need fuel. Regardless of what my miles to empty says
trip meter is what I've been doing since I started riding.
just continue it now on the FTR

Charliemurphay

I’ve used the Trip meter in combination with the gauge itself. I have found based on my miles between fills that the fuel level and range meter is fairly accurate.

Wayne

That is basically what I do. I just think it is another quality issue that reflects poorly on Indian. If you are going to build something that heavily uses electronics to function make sure it functions properly.