Trouble with gauges/screen

Ed Fox

I had a funny thing happen on Sunday. I was riding home, I had about 1/3 of a tank of gas left when all of the sudden the low fuel light came on and the gauges stopped indicating. MPR read 0, RPM read 0 fuel read 0. Then suddenly it starting working again, then suddenly it did the same thing. After a few minutes it started switching back and forth from giving correct readings to no readings all, all the time the panel was staying lit. It seemed to switch back and forth when I would be on or off the throttle. I stopped the bike and shut it down for 20 seconds. It started working correctly again but when I started riding it began doing the same thing. I thought it might have gotten vapor locked somehow because of the connection to the on off throttle thing. I stopped the bike again and opened the gas cap. I thought I might hear a whoosh then but did not. After that the trouble stopped though.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Ed Fox

I haven't looked for any loose wires yet. I'll give it a close once over before the weekend comes. I hope it's something that simple. I had is somewhat similar experience with my super Duke last year and it turned out to be a bed gauge cluster. That unit was about $1100 :rolleyes:.
Thanks for the input

Charliemurphay

I haven't looked for any loose wires yet. I'll give it a close once over before the weekend comes. I hope it's something that simple. I had is somewhat similar experience with my super Duke last year and it turned out to be a bed gauge cluster. That unit was about $1100 :rolleyes:.
Thanks for the input
Well if it is bad gauge cluster it should def be under warranty and cost nothing.

FTR18

I had a funny thing happen on Sunday. I was riding home, I had about 1/3 of a tank of gas left when all of the sudden the low fuel light came on and the gauges stopped indicating. MPR read 0, RPM read 0 fuel read 0. Then suddenly it starting working again, then suddenly it did the same thing. After a few minutes it started switching back and forth from giving correct readings to no readings all, all the time the panel was staying lit. It seemed to switch back and forth when I would be on or off the throttle. I stopped the bike and shut it down for 20 seconds. It started working correctly again but when I started riding it began doing the same thing. I thought it might have gotten vapor locked somehow because of the connection to the on off throttle thing. I stopped the bike again and opened the gas cap. I thought I might hear a whoosh then but did not. After that the trouble stopped though.

Has anyone else had this problem?
For me it seems normal on one Indian FTR.. :) After only 6500 km, I am waiting for they change the 3rd gauge. For your information it seems really one sensor gauge trouble, I have tested it by myself result: out off order once more time. So I suppose it is only one sensor gauge quality problem. Before the 3 sensors was out off order this is the same description of he troubles you have....So good luck with the after sale service they are not really speedy on the subject.....I think they know the problem and they are waiting for to have more experience on it......

John-FTR17

That's a crazy electrical issue, I think it must be your LCD Screen or a loose wire on the ECU but that sounds like a dealer warranty issue, they can test your electrical system.

FTR18

That's a crazy electrical issue, I think it must be your LCD Screen or a loose wire on the ECU but that sounds like a dealer warranty issue, they can test your electrical system.
On my side it is only one gauge sensor problem like the 2 others Indian replaced them, all is ok during 1000 to 2000 km before the problem comeback. Indian has confirmed the problem was coming from the sensors in the 2 firsts case. On the third I have tested it, and it is once more time the sensor, or its electronics, but the result is that its output is out off order. I think it could be one vibration problem + T° of the back cylinder ??? which destroy the gauge sensor. I am always on track-mode, my average fuel use is 10 to 12 liters for 100 kms, so vibrations are not the same that for one standard use....This is only one explanation but I never had this problem on one of my others motorbikes, 3 times is a lot and it seems I am not alone, to be in the same case.....

Ed Fox

On my side it is only one gauge sensor problem like the 2 others Indian replaced them, all is ok during 1000 to 2000 km before the problem comeback. Indian has confirmed the problem was coming from the sensors in the 2 firsts case. On the third I have tested it, and it is once more time the sensor, or its electronics, but the result is that its output is out off order. I think it could be one vibration problem + T° of the back cylinder ??? which destroy the gauge sensor. I am always on track-mode, my average fuel use is 10 to 12 liters for 100 kms, so vibrations are not the same that for one standard use....This is only one explanation but I never had this problem on one of my others motorbikes, 3 times is a lot and it seems I am not alone, to be in the same case.....
Hi, I think the translation from French to English is confusing me . Are you saying you have had a simaler problem and it was diagnosed as a problem with 3 different sensor at three different times?

FTR18

Hi, I think the translation from French to English is confusing me . Are you saying you have had a simaler problem and it was diagnosed as a problem with 3 different sensor at three different times?
Hi, yes I have had simaler problem and it was diagnosed as a problem with 3 different sensor at three different times, today I am riding without gauge sensor....

JDP

I’ve had some issues with the very right side column all the information goes off but everything still works ok, I pulled over and shut the key off and turned it back on but now I let it go threw all the set up before I start it seems to work better

Ed Fox

I’ve had some issues with the very right side column all the information goes off but everything still works ok, I pulled over and shut the key off and turned it back on but now I let it go threw all the set up before I start it seems to work better
My screen started with time to time problems that got worse as time went on. In the end, the dealer installed a completely new unit. No problems since then.

MANOFWOOD108

i still can't believe there's not kind of jailbreak for the gauges/screen yet(apple CarPlay/screen mirroring).

Mine drops speed, gear indication, goes black resets then is good for a couple weeks then does it again.
I could care less as long as it runs. Give me a base model sweeping needle and 3 buttons for my modes I'd be fine.

JDP

Seems like this is going to be a touchy system just hope it last, bad enough I’m looking into paying for a remap so it runs right

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
i still can't believe there's not kind of jailbreak for the gauges/screen yet(apple CarPlay/screen mirroring).

Mine drops speed, gear indication, goes black resets then is good for a couple weeks then does it again.
I could care less as long as it runs. Give me a base model sweeping needle and 3 buttons for my modes I'd be fine.
Get it replaced under warranty

Wayne

I went out for about a 250 mile ride in the Sierra Nevada mostly around Lake Tahoe. The bike with the V6 ECU ran flawless with no issues. On my second fuel stop when I filled the tank my fuel gauge indicated 159 miles to empty rather than the usual 107. I turned the bike off and on several times with no change. The gauge stuck at 159 for a large part of the ride, it did start dropping at some point very slightly then occasionally would increase as much as up to 164 miles remaining. I made another fuel stop since I didn't want to risk running dry and again the full tank read 159 to empty upon filling. All other gauges are reading normal. I have updated the firmware for the Ride Command when available however I don't think this is a firmware issue probably more like a sensor. Has anyone experienced this and if so what was the resolution?

Charliemurphay

If you are doing a lot of highway riding, your consumption goes down and the range predictor goes up accordingly. Normal behavior. I’ve had it say 173 after filling up and being stuck behind traffic at 50mph for a bit. It goes based on your most recent riding behavior so if you’ve been touring, the range will be higher accordingly especially if you’re cruising in 6th. Based on the fuel I put in and the miles I had on a tank, on the last long trip I had on it the range predictor was pretty darn accurate too.

Wayne

That does make sense but most of my riding was mountainous two lane between 3rd and sixth gear from 1,000 to over 9,000 foot elevations. I've done similar without these issues in the past. I wish the new bike's could just have a good old fashion analog gauge.