Watch out for the stock chain.

Timps27

I really dislike disparaging someone who had a bad day and could have been seriously hurt. But at the same time, I find it inconceivable that the boat anchor of a chain on the FTR would break or jump without either A. Serious delinquency in chain maintenance, or B. A severe manufacturer defect.

Unless OP provides further detail we have no way of knowing for certain, but Occam’s Razor and all...

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
You really don’t know for sure but assume the OP did something wrong. Maybe, maybe not.
the oem chain is a quality did 525 oring chain, that comes standard on MANY bikes. To say “Indian picked the wrong chain” simply due to a mishap is misleading. I’ve seen more issues with improper chain maintenance than I ever have with an actual chain failure. Especially with a quality chain like the DID.

OP didn’t give any extra info as to what happened. And hasn’t been back on the forum since posting. The way it looks is, it was improperly adjusted, and it hopped off the sprocket, that’s not a chain issue. If the chain would have broken then yes, that’s an issue, but the damage wouldn’t be what you’re seeing in these pictures

K9F

Maybe not Max, Vitriol or not, there are of course trolls as well that will visit forums in such fashion. All that were initially requested were a few more specific details. Was he injured??? I am still under the distinct impression personally this was either owner error or whoever fitted the replacement chain and sprockets messed up?

First post with an opening gambit of "Indian didn't quite pick the right chain for the bike" will on an enthusiast forum with many experienced individuals undoubtedly lead to derision and doubt if you're not willing to respond to subsequent posts. One shot wonders! And if he was a troll he now is getting his desired results. Don't feed them!

DeplorableOne

Not to throw more fuel in the fire, but the stock chain did stretch quite a bit in the first few hundred miles. Now this is the first new bike I've purchased that had a chain. My previous bike was a belt and it was a decade since I owned a bike before then. I could definitely see how not being on top of chain maintenance could be extremely detrimental on this bike. Especially when it's new and you're getting a ton of stretch. So for instance my bike I took to the dealer for the first service, only had it back for approx 150 miles and because of this I checked my chain. It was at 18mm! That's a TON on slack. I don't think the dealer even checked it and a lot of people just assume they do, I know I did. I even said something about how loose it seemed. They looked me dead in the face and said "it's set to factory specifications". If I hadn't of checked I'm sure I'd of been posting a similar thread...so make sure you take it upon yourself to verify stuff is done and done correctly. This is a good lesson to all

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I’ve owned nothing but chain driven bikes for the past 12 years. It’s 100% normal for a chain to stretch that much during the first 500 mile break in. But after that it’s mainly done stretching till it’s time to replace it. That’s why it’s important to adjust it at 500 miles.

and they probably set it to the slacker side of the specs, as a slightly loose chain is better than a tight chain. As a tight chain, will keep stretching, as well as wear out your sprockets, and countershaft seal.

S2Davies

While this thread has proved slightly frustrating, it must be said it did encourage me to go and have a good look at my set up. I would say that my maintenance and inspection regime is probably better than average, but an extra look is never a bad idea. So thanks to J Sent It...........you made me look :)

Max Kool

[..] So for instance my bike I took to the dealer for the first service, only had it back for approx 150 miles and because of this I checked my chain. It was at 18mm! That's a TON on slack.

Now this is the first new bike I've purchased that had a chain.
Point taken, you never had a bike with a chain.

18mm is waaay too tight. Hate to say this but read the manual (and I wonder if you measured correctly, else you would have read it).

DeplorableOne

Point taken, you never had a bike with a chain.

18mm is waaay too tight. Hate to say this but read the manual (and I wonder if you measured correctly, else you would have read it).
my gauge the closer it is to the swing arm the smaller the number you push the chain up towards the bottom of the swingarm. so when you use the 10 pound chain tension scale along with a measure the chain gets closer to the swing arm the looser it is. I tightened it back up to right at 35 just as specified in the manual. So point taken you don't know how to measure your slack 😉 Also not my first bike with a chain, my first NEW bike with a chain and most of my old ones were dirt bikes and we checked the chains religiously and went through a few more than I expect we do on the streets. The chain stretched on my old zx10r but not to this extent, but it was used and I never needed to replace it's chain

Attachments

• measurechain.jpg
    measurechain.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 57

J Send It

Welcome to the forum.

There is a quality chain already fitted to the FTR. The chain stretch the first 350 miles was phenomenal and it needed adjusting twice, I had never witnessed such rapid stretch before on any of my bikes. Since then I have not had to adjust it since for several thousand miles and believe yours has been the only solitary FTR case of chain derailment.
A discontinued DID chain is not quality. It lacks enough tinsel strength. That was the 3rd "quality chain" put on that bike.

J Send It

The stock chain is a good DID 525 o-ring chain that almost all modern chain drive bikes use, for it to come off the sprocket like that, it couldnt have been properly adjusted.
That chain broke and rapped around the rear sprocket it didnt just roll off the bitch. It was adjusted properly.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Weird, everyone who races and stunts the FTRs all use the "3rd quality chain", this is the first time ive ever seen an issue with these chains.

Accidents happen, hope its covered under warranty.