Watch out for the stock chain.

J Send It

Identical scenario to myself. Was really surprised though the amount of stretch on the FTR. On reflection I reckon if I'd backed the bike up with my boot on the chain it would have come off very easily at first adjustment after about a paltry 150 miles, obviously during break in too when it wasn't even being 'gunned' too much.

Really? As stated the chain was of good and proven quality. Wonder what the OP's reasoning behind the derailment may be especially if the chain remained intact? A few more details would have been nice? What sort of road was he on, speed and characteristics of the ride, harsh or just pootling along? 1000 miles? Was this the original chain and sprockets or had they been swapped out already? Something obviously either 'let go' or was amiss? Quite heartbreaking seeing such devastation on a relatively new bike with only 1000 miles on these chain and sprockets. Guess Indian may stump up the repair bill if the OP's statement can be proven?

**Late Edit** I notice the bike has a set of Bridgestones fitted to it. This may have nothing to do with 'new chain stretch' unless of course the chain and sprockets were swapped out 1000 miles ago rather than the bike being new? So thoughts move to what chain was fitted at what mileage and by whom perhaps? There's more to this story that the OP should add to. Welcome to the forum by the way and very interesting first post!
Alright lets see if I can work you through all your questions here. You state the chain is of good and proven quality but it is discontinued by DID. It wasn't derailment it was a break and not at the master link. The road was clean asphalt and not all messed up. The the chain and sprockets had been changed every 5k miles. So this was the third stock set put on the bike. It was a simple 80 to 140 pull so not harsh and not putting. I already had voiced concerns with Indian about the nature of their chain and sprockets. It was agreed there was an issue. On a lighter note the damages only came to $2k dollars.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Why are you changing your chain and sprockets every 5k?

If the steel sprockets and chain are showing wear that fast, that points to in improperly adjusted chain.

J Send It

Why are you changing your chain and sprockets every 5k?

If the steel sprockets and chain are showing wear that fast, that points to in improperly adjusted chain.
Because I ride the bike hard and don't like to die in the canyons. This is not the first issue I have had with the chain and sprockets. After the first set went at 5k we adjusted everything after every ride and repeated the results to rule out bad adjustment intervals.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
weird... I race mine at the drag strip and in the mountains and never had an issue at around 10k.

Still the original steel sprockets. Still look brand new.

I did replace my chain with a DID 525ZVMX X-ring chain which has slightly more tensile strength than the EK ZVX3 525, about 3k miles ago, the initial 500 mile stretch was exactly the same as the OEM DID unit.

Perhaps Keep your chain adjusted to the looser side of the limits, since you seem to be eating through parts at an abnormal rate

Max Kool

Because I ride the bike hard and don't like to die in the canyons. This is not the first issue I have had with the chain and sprockets. After the first set went at 5k we adjusted everything after every ride and repeated the results to rule out bad adjustment intervals.
That’s literally the only thing I do, canyons. I think you overtightened it and it just snapped. Adjusted mine three times in 8k miles and looks new. 🤷🏻‍♂️

ps, define “ride hard” please?

Anyway, with a new chain and sprockets every 5k miles you’re doing something wrong. I got even more riding rallies. Oh and DID also sells chains to oems, not for sale at retailers. This is a DID HV3 chain, also used on Ducatis, Hondas, Suzukis for instance.

Come to think of it, it may actually be one the more commonly used chains as OEM...

I don’t know, no winners here.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
For reference this is a stock sprocket with almost 10k on it. Gold chain was only installed for looks. My buddy is running my old Oem chain on his cbr1000

Attachments

• D2684A0B-E256-437A-9593-E15E2336FDEF.jpeg
    D2684A0B-E256-437A-9593-E15E2336FDEF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56

Scarecrow

When you say “we”, is someone doing the work for you? And you’re absolutely confident they are adjusting it properly if that’s the case? Did it only break once and then out of precaution changed every 5k miles? Or was the first issue you had also a break?

Last edited:

K9F

It's always a fine line between riding hard and being brutal and possibly abusing the bike? Is it possible your 'riding capabilities' exceeded the mechanical capabilities of the chain and as it was agreed 'there was an issue' are Indian stumping up the $2k for the repairs? If so good result and I am sorry for your woes! Next chain and sprocket replacement (it certainly won't be every 5k) will undoubtedly be one of the recommendations above, thanks.

Max Kool

Btw, “riding hard in the canyons”, may stress the suspension, brakes and the rider, I don’t see how it puts extra load on a chain...

(try commuting in the rain)

Keles

Chain that is set very tight could tear very quickly, but if it has survived the whole quarrel, the chain has become unevenly long and could fly off the sprocket at any time. So too tight or very loose is always bad for the chain. My chain, no matter what type of motorcycle I rode, always lasted 30,000 km, sometimes even 40,000 km. I drive about 12 to 15 thousand km every season.

K9F

If they agreed there was an issue perhaps we can all look forward to a 'chain recall' and all get one for free?:sneaky:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
For the “I change chain and sprockets every 5k”
Top is my oem sprocket with 10k on it bottom is my buddies oem sprocket with 2k on it. Can you tell a difference in teeth wear? I can’t.

properly adjusted chain. Also installed a 525 zvx3 chain on his. Im willing to bet it’s going to stretch just like the oem chain and my did xring chain

Attachments

• 9DB49847-31A4-4A3E-8384-BF6C6CC3C0AE.jpeg
    9DB49847-31A4-4A3E-8384-BF6C6CC3C0AE.jpeg
    996.1 KB · Views: 47

devinbreeding

I’ve seen Tony Carbajal “ride hard” on these bikes. I doubt the OP or many people push a chain that hard. I agree, seems improperly adjusted to have to replace so often. On a slightly related note, I would not have been upset if they used the RSD Scout pulley tensioner design for the FTR. Maybe there is too much suspension travel?