Where did you ride your FTR today?

K1000

Site Supporter
It's been raining cats and dogs here for the past I don't know how many days, so my engine break-in is on a hiatus, stalled at 500 km / 310 miles. I really, really, really despise riding in rain. It's a shitty experience. Somewhat unavoidable when touring, but even then I tend to check into the nearest hotel with spa and wait out the rain, route plan be damned. Or completely rework my plan around the weather map.

Anyways.

In the meantime, here a few pictures from some of the past rides:

Untitled-543.jpg

Untitled-545.jpg

Untitled-544.jpg

Untitled-546.jpg

Untitled-548.jpg

Untitled-547.jpg

Last edited:

Peterson

similar with my brake in. Austria was as rainy as you described it for A. Also had a gap between 400 and 600km for 6 weeks. In the moment we have a rain period with much flooding, the army helping out with manpower, logistics and bridge layers ... so next ride next week - with hopefully cleared roads in the backcountry.

Scrappy

It's been raining cats and dogs here for the past I don't know how many days, so my engine break-in is on a hiatus, stalled at 500 km / 310 miles. I really, really, really despise riding in rain. It's a shitty experience. Somewhat unavoidable when touring, but even then I tend to check into the nearest hotel with spa and wait out the rain, route plan be damned. Or completely rework my plan around the weather map.

Anyways.

In the meantime, here a few pictures from some of the past rides:

View attachment 8648

View attachment 8649

View attachment 8650

View attachment 8651

View attachment 8652

View attachment 8653

Stunning bike & stunning scenery!

K1000

Site Supporter
similar with my brake in. Austria was as rainy as you described it for A. Also had a gap between 400 and 600km for 6 weeks. In the moment we have a rain period with much flooding, the army helping out with manpower, logistics and bridge layers ... so next ride next week - with hopefully cleared roads in the backcountry.

The weather is becoming more and more extreme.
Good luck with the rescue work, hopefully things will calm down soon and you'll be able to enjoy your FTR some more.

I'm waiting for my wife to have some weekend plans that do not include me, because I'd really like to do some touring in the Pyrenees in June. The scenery in the Pyrenees is not as striking as in the Alps or Dolomites, because they are geologically older. The peaks have had more time to erode away and become... hills. Even 3000 m / 10000 ft mountains are shaped like hills. Round at the top. Few dramatic peaks here, unlike in the Alps. Perhaps that is why there are fewer tourists here. The roads are mostly empty and the riding is sublime.

I'd like to go to the Col du Tourmalet mountain pass on the French side next. It's some 5 hours each way, let's see how it all works out.

K1000

Site Supporter
Stunning bike & stunning scenery!

Thank you! 😊

I was just writing in the previous post how the scenery here is not as beautiful as in the Alps or Dolomites, let alone somewhere like Torres del Paine 😅

The riding is great, though. Not far from here on the Spanish side there is this road called Collada de Toses. It's some 60 km / 37 miles of twisty road, one corner after another. I have done it many times and the average number of cars you encounter on this entire stretch of road is something like 4. Even in the highest of seasons.

K1000

Site Supporter
Where did I ride today. Today I rode over the mountain to the next valley over. Then back. Then to my favourite mountain pass just 10 km / 6 miles from home. Then down to France. Then back home. 90 km / 56 miles all in all. Just for a few hours after work. Now that sun has come out after a week of rain.

Untitled-555.jpg
Untitled-559.jpg
Untitled-562.jpg

Don't mess!
Traffic sign illustrates what will happen to you should you choose not to respect it:

Untitled-558.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled-563.jpg
    Untitled-563.jpg
    581.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

K1000

Site Supporter
A short ride after work today. Went to a place high up in the mountains, where there is this adventure-slash-activities park:

They have the longest alpine slide in the world (IN the WorRRLLD! 😄), or so they say. At 5.3 km / 3.3 miles, it's plausible. Here is where the slide begins:

Untitled-565.jpg
Untitled-566.jpg

The road leading there is quite nice, too:

Untitled-568.jpg

I should wash the poor thing 😅

Untitled-569.jpg

Last edited:

K1000

Site Supporter
Finished my engine break-in with a relaxed Saturday morning ride through the French Cerdanya.

Untitled-581.jpg

Untitled-578.jpg

Untitled-576.jpg

Untitled-574.jpg

Selfie! 😄

Untitled-575.jpg

Technically I also went to Spain, but not really. Just passed through Llívia, which is a Spanish enclave in France: A small piece of Spanish territory with one town and one village, completely surrounded by France. It's a nice place, with more than its fair share of excellent restaurants, including a fromagerie serving the best Fondue I've ever had.

Funny things, these enclaves / exclaves. There are several of them in Europe. The most famous one is Gibraltar - a piece of the UK in the south of Spain. The most infamous one is Kaliningrad - a piece of Russia in Poland, which is just one huge military base. There is also a piece of Germany in Switzerland, and probably a few more enclaves I don't know about.
Spain has three - in addition to Llívia it has two ciites on the coast of Morocco: Ceuta and Melilla.

irsh

I hope so. But between the seizures, stroke, eyesight and balance issues… probably not. I think 60-years of riding might be over
Sad to hear, but there is more to life than riding and I'm sure you'll find a hobby to replace it. I also wish you the best with the recent health concerns. ✊

edgelett

sadly winter has finally arrived with a vengence so no riding for me at the moment. I don't enjoy riding in the rain so avoid it if I can.