Where did you ride your FTR today?

Snakum

Fayetteville to Winston to Greensboro and back over the weekend. Then yesterday Fayetteville to Charlotte then to Black Mountain, NC. From all flat sand and pine trees to gorgeous mountains. Heading to Bryson City tomorrow.

Will have put about 1000 niles on since Friday. I finally found the hot-spots on the stock seat. Lol.

20210524_190813.jpg

Just checked my mileage while loading up ... it will be more like 1400 miles since Friday, if I don't go to Bryson today. And looking at my stock tires ... I don't think they'd make to the border then six hours home. I'll have around 5000 miles on them by tonight and they're gonna be toast. I have a set of TA3s to be put on tomorrow for another road trip to Georgia on Saturday. A turn-and-burn to Savannah.

Last edited:

Snakum

Gotta get gel pads in that seat and a slight resculpt. It's fine for my 4 -5 hr roundtrip work commute. But yesterday after five hours straight except for gas stops my old ass was on fire. :cry:

MarkS

I guess that Corbin seat looks pretty nice. How does it feel?

I have a Corbin on my 2015 Guzzi California 1400 that I bought in October 2020. I thought the seat was pretty hard when I first bought it, but I have to say it has broken it quite nicely and feels good now. Even though it had 8000 miles on it it still had to change shape to fit me.

Oh yea - I rode FTR to get breakfast and then to work, then home for lunch to beat the the afternoon rain. Best commuter bike ever.

K9F

Seats are very difficult to 'quantify' as each person's opinion and perception is different. This is the first time I have ever bought a bespoke seat off the shelf.

Nevertheless I had to 'do something' as the usual upholsterer I use for seat work I could not go and visit due to the pandemic. The biking season has now started in earnest and I didn't want to lose riding time waiting for my OEM seat to be reworked. The price was exorbitant with an 80% mark up against USA pricing and I did just over two extra days electrical installation work ultimately to get someone else to pay for it.

I have covered approximately 300 miles plus with the Corbin now. I am highly impressed and most importantly significantly more comfortable than I was. I agree about the hardness but unlike the OEM seat you are still being supported despite it being a little on the harsh side. I am also aware it needs to be broken in.

Ultimately I am extremely happy with the seat but the pain induced by the eye-watering price will fade eventually I am sure? It would have been an exceptional purchase at a reasonable price.

K9F

K9F -> Where did u buy the Corbin seat? No problems with your coccyx till now?

The OEM seat was an unknown entity for me and two weeks after receiving the bike I had a 570 mile one way trip planned to the Harz Mountains of Germany. I bought an Airhawk Dual Sport to nail on the FTR for the trip. I did not want to get a couple of hundred miles from home to find the seat uncomfortable. The Airhawk purchase was a very wise move indeed. Once the trip was out of the way I packed the Airhawk away.

Ever since if I did anything over 180-200 miles on the OEM seat without the Airhawk it was an utter enjoyment killer for me. With numbness beginning to set in at about 150 miles and great discomfort thereafter.

I was fortunate and I had never realized that the Europen Outlet for Corbin seats is in my hometown and run by a guy called Mark Battistini from the customized Harley-Davidson Battistini Brothers ilk. I tried various methods of securing a discount including liaising with Colin Moore of Moore Speed Racing to see if he could secure a discount through trade.

The European Outlet has just moved from their old premises to a much larger one (no doubt part financed by the 80% mark up in price) to Saxon Square in Christchurch. Nevertheless the e-mail and phone numbers will still be good. They will always call you back whether you leave a message or not!

Shop by Make Corbin Europe (corbin-europe.com)

Pmcb41

Started in Spearfish Canyon, then up in the Northern Blacks Hills, Elk Country. From there over to Wyoming Black Hills. Then the Wyoming prairie, 10’ snow fences still up. Staying in Denver. Tomorrow over the Rockys and to Moab. More to come, 3000 miles on an FTR 1200s. L.A. and back.

Attachments

• 1B16F505-FE03-46E1-AFEB-DC3C7D240B22.jpeg
    1B16F505-FE03-46E1-AFEB-DC3C7D240B22.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 716C90E5-1B91-41F9-8397-15817354EA13.jpeg
    716C90E5-1B91-41F9-8397-15817354EA13.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 5D16F65F-E59A-49F6-BEF0-8A98FDB7C35D.jpeg
    5D16F65F-E59A-49F6-BEF0-8A98FDB7C35D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 01A8DC1A-878E-46BA-AE5E-A650FBCC6CB5.jpeg
    01A8DC1A-878E-46BA-AE5E-A650FBCC6CB5.jpeg