First oil change cost and what do they do?

edgelett

I took my bike to the dealer for the first service for a number of reasons:
1) needed the fuse recall done
2) gear lever lost the nob at the end, was getting that replaced under warranty
3) figured i'd like them to check over the bike generally in case anything else was loose given no 2
4) i had no spare time to do it myself

NZ FTR

I like to do my own work, oil changes will be more often than factory optomists.
First service at local Honda dealer as I’m 3hr away from Indian shop.
$262NZ including taxes and the oil kit(141)
Best to have a recognised shop do spec services while warranty valid.

Moto-775

i agree, way too long of an interval for a bike with a wet clutch, i do mine every 5, some even do it every 2.

it is a weird weight, lots of discussion on the other indian forums as to why indian did it, some say it was so you only buy their oil. IDK, but at least your dealer will do it early.

I am using Motul 300V in 15/60. I have ran that oil in all of my moto bike with rebuilds that look like there is no rubbing wear. In all reality, $50 in oil, $10 for an oil filter and a simple tool kit, most anyone can change it for next to nothing!

PLEASE...DO NOT pay the dealer for Oil Change, they over charge for such an easy task that we can do ourselves. Oil change is a rider responsibility and today's price on Amazon is $72.99 for Oil Change Kit.

Your user manual gives detailed instructions on how to change your own Oil. Do it every 3-5K miles and use recommended 15w60 synthetic oil and you will keep your FTR happy for years.

If I had any FTR owners in my area, I would change their Oil for FREE if they brought me the Kit. It only takes 15 minutes not 1.5 hours x $100 per hour plus over charge for you Oil bought from dealer.
Yes, Jhon!
I agree!
I will do it by myself, I saw a video that Indian yes uploaded in youtube on how to do it!
Is there by any chance a link that you might have to order the kit that you have mentioned?
Thanks a lot for your reply, really appreciated!

John-FTR17

600 miles and went in for the first service, cost was sort of shocking to me $410. Now I’ve had a Duc so I am used to $200 oil changes but holy crap!

I asked what they did and they made a point to say they checked the torque specs on critical components, Checked the chain tension and finally when I was looking at him very skeptically ,I was told they set the suspension up... huh? I don’t think they did that... since they don’t know my weight or riding style...maybe back to factory spec?

Apparently a regular oil change is $185 which seems pretty steep to me since the OEM kit is $72....

No real question just sort of putting this out there. Also It’s in USD.

Definitely need take Bike to Dealer for your first "500 Mile Break-in Service" and remember they have 30 checks and Oil Change is just 1 of 30 items they look at. The service manual shows 20 of the 30 items required to be conducted by certified Indian dealer. In between Services you could change your own oil and Air Filter, Inspect/adjust Chain etc. IMHO its worth the $410 for your first service if you look at what they are suppose to do in addition to just change your Oil and Oil Filter.

John-FTR17

Yes, Jhon!
I agree!
I will do it by myself, I saw a video that Indian yes uploaded in youtube on how to do it!
Is there by any chance a link that you might have to order the kit that you have mentioned?
Thanks a lot for your reply, really appreciated!

Here is link to the Oil Change Kit:

61paexveQRL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Moto-775

Definitely need take Bike to Dealer for your first "500 Mile Break-in Service" and remember they have 30 checks and Oil Change is just 1 of 30 items they look at. The service manual shows 20 of the 30 items required to be conducted by certified Indian dealer. In between Services you could change your own oil and Air Filter, Inspect/adjust Chain etc. IMHO its worth the $410 for your first service if you look at what they are suppose to do in addition to just change your Oil and Oil Filter.

There is nothing that you couldn’t use your owner’s manual guidance to complete. The 500 mile service is solely a CYA by all brands to make sure bolts that may have been left loose in assembly are now checked to avoid a lawsuit. The FTR was built as a race bike with lights with the intention of you being able to fix issues in the pits between motos at a flat track race.

cupcake_mike

John-FTR17

That sounds like allot but money well spent when you consider all thwy are supposed to do for “break in 500 mile service”. Money well spent.

the Indian dealership told me that in order to have the bikes guarantee running for the first 2 years you need to do the oil change in the dealership only.to keep a record to the bikes book story,

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Of course they told you that, they want to over charge you for a simple service. But that statement is incorrect.

Of course, they told you that, they want to over charge you for a simple service. But that statement is incorrect.
I know!
but let's say that something happens with the engine, a failure or something, and I haven't done the service there, what happens then?
Polaris will check the service date and they will notice that it hasn't been updated and I'm sure that they won't take the responsibility about the incident.they will manage to prove that something wrong it was that I did by my self.
I have been thinking about the idea of filming my self doing the oil change so I have a proof

hahaha

Greg

Had my 1st service done at Chris Walker’s. Fantastic service and only charged me for the parts, Labour was free. £54 all in, highly recommend 👍🏻

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I know!
but let's say that something happens with the engine, a failure or something, and I haven't done the service there, what happens then?
Polaris will check the service date and they will notice that it hasn't been updated and I'm sure that they won't take the responsibility about the incident.they will manage to prove that something wrong it was that I did by my self.
I have been thinking about the idea of filming my self doing the oil change so I have a proof

hahaha

that’s why you keep your receipts for your oil changes. It’s illegal for them to void your warranty because you didn’t have indian service your bike

John-FTR17

I am a certified Mechanic (not an Indian Tech) but it's always nice to have a second set of eyes to check things out on my Bike, and I know everyone does some of the required maintenance themselves, but nobody does all of it required by the service manual and the dealer technician uses this page out of the Service Manual as a checklist to check EVERYTHING and has the Diagnostic equipment to run any error codes and correct them.

Attachments

• FTR Service.jpeg
    FTR Service.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yeah they aren’t doing all that. Most don’t even adjust the chain, and if they do, some are even screwing than up.

If you want to over pay for a quick visual and oil change, go for it.