FTR sudden deads collection

Rock

Seriously though, hearing this makes me cringe. I had these problems with my KTM and I swore I'd never put myself through that again. Stalled in the middle of fast traffic, etc., replacing the batter twice in under a year, and constant charging. I live in a condo so I can't tender the battery 24/7. I need a bike that can be able to sit for a week without giving me trouble. I ride at least 4 days per week but you get those rainy weeks where it sits from sunday to saturday and if I have to remove the batter every time the forecast is bad to charge it I'm going to lose my mind.
Not saying it can't be done, but I'm nothing paying 16k for that.

Murdock

Still no update. Talked to the dealer again yesterday but he got no feedback from the Indian regional manager.
Meanwhile my frustration is growing and I start thinking that they may communicate a bit more motivated to a lawyer instead of me ....

And here is the update now. :)

Since my dealer made some progress with the Indian guys, I did not went to a lawyer. And finally it was worth to be patient.
The happy end of the story is: A brand new FTR is sitting in my stable now with no costs for me. I picked it up last Friday afternoon, put the 500 miles on it over the weekend, had the first service on Monday (with no charge) and all is fine. On Friday my 10-days trip starts to check out some curves in the Austrian mountains. :cool:

mark.lb

Good luck with the new FTR. I am very happy Indian gave you a new bike. They proved themselves to be a stand-up company in your situation. They could have strung you along for months while the dealership tried to track down some nebulous problem.

D

Deleted member 677

My FTR Is a 2019 base model, It was purchased in March of 2020. It has the newer updated software from the dealership. It has all of the symptoms of cold start issues and dying at different riding situations all the time. I have a PV3 and have had multiple tunes tried from fuel moto to no avail.

They tried to help me through the email with tunes for a while, but quit responding to me. I am currently waiting for Ryan at Lloydz To have a tune ready for the updated software models.

It is disappointing to have a brand new motorcycle that had running issues on mile number one! You would think by the year 2020 and idling and not stalling motorcycle would be old hat. The programmers and software people at Indian or wherever they get the ECU programmed, sure dropped the ball!

Last edited by a moderator:

Snakum

I feel your pain. I am the unfortunate owner of a brand new base model that has shut off three times in traffic. Once with almost disastrous consequences.

Now it's at the shop since Thursday with no end in sight.

I must not be living right.

D

Deleted member 429

I have cold starting stalling.. While warming the bike up, it will stop between 2 and 3 times until warmed to 60 degrees...I have had the engine cut out at least 3 times under different circumstances, once on a round about and usually shifting down.. clutch in engine dies...
I have had the 10 Amp circuit breaker recall completed before I took delivery and the battery is on a tender...I have contacted the technical rep in the UK for Polaris, the seller, the local Indian dealer and Indian direct and waiting to see what they come back with..

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I have cold starting stalling.. While warming the bike up, it will stop between 2 and 3 times until warmed to 60 degrees...I have had the engine cut out at least 3 times under different circumstances, once on a round about and usually shifting down.. clutch in engine dies...
I have had the 10 Amp circuit breaker recall completed before I took delivery and the battery is on a tender...I have contacted the technical rep in the UK for Polaris, the seller, the local Indian dealer and Indian direct and waiting to see what they come back with..
the owners manual even tells you to let it warm up a few min before riding.

D

Deleted member 429

the owners manual even tells you to let it warm up a few min before riding.
Absolutely....and I do...
I start it, crash helmet and gloves on...stall, switch off start again and wheel out the gate, stall, switch off start again close gait stall...switch off and start again....
Hold it at around 1500 to 2000 on the throttle while it warms to over 60 degrees before attempting to move off....
The cut outs have happened when its warm and one was after at least 10 miles of riding shifting down...
I judge that Indian and Polaris need to fix this, not everyone seems to be experiencing the same and its probably not made any better by sub mid teen Celsius weather in the UK...
I have other bikes and none of these do the same...
It needs a technical fix and Polaris and Indian know it.

Snakum

Just went thru this with Polaris and they are well aware. The cut-off almost got me hit from behind one of the times. Still zero help from Indian. Cost me $550 out of pocket. If you want to save yourself the frustration just get a tune so it is safe and runs like it should.

Reactions: K9F
D

Deleted member 429

Just went thru this with Polaris and they are well aware. The cut-off almost got me hit from behind one of the times. Still zero help from Indian. Cost me $550 out of pocket. If you want to save yourself the frustration just get a tune so it is safe and runs like it should.
Mine stalled at some lights after I had pulled away about 20 feet...It struck me that the bike would have come to a stop with no warning to anyone behind me...

edgelett

Absolutely....and I do...
I start it, crash helmet and gloves on...stall, switch off start again and wheel out the gate, stall, switch off start again close gait stall...switch off and start again....
Hold it at around 1500 to 2000 on the throttle while it warms to over 60 degrees before attempting to move off....
The cut outs have happened when its warm and one was after at least 10 miles of riding shifting down...
I judge that Indian and Polaris need to fix this, not everyone seems to be experiencing the same and its probably not made any better by sub mid teen Celsius weather in the UK...
that's what mine did before I got it tuned. it would stall up to 5 times before i sat on it.
Polaris claim the new Ah2 software for the ECU has fixed this problem for 2019/20 models, and it's definitely fixed on the 2022 model.

K9F

Snakum above is spot on!

Sincere apologies Vmaxboy but you're probably not going to like what comes next:

Your experiences are nothing new and yes some people appear to fair better than others in the severity stakes. Yours is as bad as it gets. Nevertheless the Mothership will NOT be able to sort your issue as their hands are tied by emissions and the current flash your ECU presumably already has. If you are persistent you 'may' get another bike out of it but there are no guarantees it will be better than the one you have now. Two people I am aware of got replacement bikes.

Point of Principle and the fact Polaris should fix this I agree with, but plain fact is, in two years they still haven't come up with a fix so pressing this issue will just waste time. Don't waste your time on this, there IS already a fix but this would involve the services of one of the two reputable tuners and you digging deeper to 'the tune' (no pun intended) of ballpark £500 of your hard earned money. Alternatively sell it or trade it and stick to one of your other bikes that don't do it!

D

Deleted member 429

Snakum above is spot on!

Sincere apologies Vmaxboy but you're probably not going to like what comes next:

Your experiences are nothing new and yes some people appear to fair better than others in the severity stakes. Yours is as bad as it gets. Nevertheless the Mothership will NOT be able to sort your issue as their hands are tied by emissions and the current flash your ECU presumably already has. If you are persistent you 'may' get another bike out of it but there are no guarantees it will be better than the one you have now. Two people I am aware of got replacement bikes.

Point of Principle and the fact Polaris should fix this I agree with, but plain fact is, in two years they still haven't come up with a fix so pressing this issue will just waste time. Don't waste your time on this, there IS already a fix but this would involve the services of one of the two reputable tuners and you digging deeper to 'the tune' (no pun intended) of ballpark £500 of your hard earned money. Alternatively sell it or trade it and stick to one of your other bikes that don't do it!
Hi K9F...
I'm fine with all you've said and the advice is as usual is most appreciated...
I did consider adding a comment about emissions which is half the story as any fix would perhaps require limited homologation which is expensive for OEM's...
As I can take a more relaxed approach to getting it fixed I'll most likely persist and look to get an option that you suggested and maybe even some support or funding from Indian/Polaris. I think one point that's being made is the potential that exists with this risk...
Another aspect is building up the data...one thing not mentioned is the potential for the DVSA if there is enough supporting evidence they would act.
Apart from all of that....I really enjoy the bike, the looks, the feel and its character and don't really want to trade it.. it reminds me of how bikes used to be..:)

D

Deleted member 706

I thought I'd jump on the bike and head up to the hills. I know the road well because I used to work up there a fair bit. I got into the hills where the road starts to get interesting and was just getting into it when the 1D10T lights flashed and the bike stalled fired up and stalled a couple of times before carking out all tofukngether! So I called up the dealer got the 24/7 road side assist number, and eventually found out hey couldn't do anything because they didn't have me on file. After several phone calls I called and paid for a tow truck, to be reimbursed, the dealer reckoned a dead battery and it sure looks like it. I put it on charge when I got home, nothing, nada, zip not even one orange light came on...
The dealer reckons it's dead battery, I've never heard of a battery dying in such a way. I got the new battery on Friday arvo, fitted it yesterday,and still nothing when I turn on the key. I put it on charge and this time the charger showed some lights and charged the battery right up, still no response when I turn on the key. I bought the old battery on charge to see what would happen, it appears to be charging so I have my doubts about the battery being the problem.
I'm really starting to have doubts about these bikes, yes they're fun to ride and yes they have nice power but, I'm finding it harder to have confidence in them, and wondering whether or not to keep it.
Some have mentioned the standard model having an analog speedo, I'm not so sure about that I reckon it might be a digital speedo dressed up as an analog speedo, mine's stuck on 50 K's since it died.
The outcome of that was that the main fuse had fallen out! Plug it back in and all's good again.
It's stalled on me few times since, and thanks to Murphy's law it's in traffic and at a less then desirable time, a little irksome but no major dramas.

Rally

Just replying to this thread to say my 2022 FTR Rally did this today.

Has 1300 miles on it, build date of 3/31/21. Got it a few weeks ago and had the dealership do the 500 miles service.

Did a 215 mile ride today and in the last 10 miles, I had the clutch in while coasting to a stop at a red light.

When I got to a stop, I noticed the bike was dead. I pushed the starter button and nothing happened. Pushed it again and bike fired up fine. No check engine light or anything.

Not sure what the deal is, but I'll be watching it and keeping you posted.

D

Deleted member 429

Just replying to this thread to say my 2022 FTR Rally did this today.

Has 1300 miles on it, build date of 3/31/21. Got it a few weeks ago and had the dealership do the 500 miles service.

Did a 215 mile ride today and in the last 10 miles, I had the clutch in while coasting to a stop at a red light.

When I got to a stop, I noticed the bike was dead. I pushed the starter button and nothing happened. Pushed it again and bike fired up fine. No check engine light or anything.

Not sure what the deal is, but I'll be watching it and keeping you posted.
Not good...Its supposed to be fixed for the new model if its the same condition....

How is cold start up for you is that any better and have you reported it to Indian, Polaris...

I'm sure apart from this that the bikes a blast..

I'm just taking mine out to a local breakfast meet, its 9degrees c and going to enjoy the ride see how it goes at start and running..

Rally

Not good...Its supposed to be fixed for the new model if its the same condition....

How is cold start up for you is that any better and have you reported it to Indian, Polaris...

I'm sure apart from this that the bikes a blast..

I'm just taking mine out to a local breakfast meet, its 9degrees c and going to enjoy the ride see how it goes at start and running..
Cold start is fine as long as I let it warm up a little while I put my gear on. It hasn't died once during warm up.