FTR won't start

edgelett

it's not the dealer that sends the recall letter, it's Indian itself.
you will still need to get the recall done by the dealer at some stage so they can mark it off for insurance/warranty purposes.

fugz

I remember when my FTR was delivered. It was rolled out of the van, then wouldn't start. And that was after its delivery pre-check!

I did get a free Genius charger sent to me FOC.

SURLY

Dont both with Raptor supplies. I ordered from them months ago. Had to cancel and claim money back from Paypal. No response to phone/emails. I bought mine from amazon but they came from the US, took a couple of weeks. UK supplies were hard to get. 10mins to fit
Oh shit ordered them from raptor.

SURLY

Just spoke to my dealer he has been trying to check my bike on the recall list but his computor is fcuking about so he has put three in the post for me anyway suits me he also said its also been a problem on the big Indians so guess Indian went for the cheapest supplier who does that sound like.

MotoJedi

Friend got stranded today in the refuge, had to call another friend with a trailer to get the bike back to my house. We tested the battery and checked the fuses, all good. Originally we were riding and the display on his ride command went blank. I figured it just needed to be restarted or maybe a loose connection at the plug. When we shut his bike down, it never started back up. We can hear the fuel pump prime when the key is turned to the on position, but the headlight LED ring doesn't stay on, just flashes on for a split second when turning the key to the on position. Tried swapping batteries with a known good FTR battery, also tried swapping relays and the fuses - still no display on the ride command, and no start. At this point we are starting to wonder if it's an electrical short or possibly a circuit breaker causing the issue. He is about 3hrs from home. Anyone have any idea's?

Same shit just happened to me. Day 4 of ownership. Bike has around 170 miles on it. WTF

K9F

Should have been done as part of Pre Delivery Inspection I would have thought and expected being only a few days old. My money's on another duff battery.

MotoJedi

Should have been done as part of Pre Delivery Inspection I would have thought and expected being only a few days old. My money's on another duff battery.

Bike was towed today back to the dealership. Service department has it now. Let's see what they will say.

MotoJedi

Was your new bike a 2019 leftover? Battery could have sat for the best part of a year?

Update-- dealer just called me. They confirmed the "fuse" recall has already been done. They will just give me a new battery and told me come in hour to get it. They also the latest flash/tune has already been installed on my bike. No further issues found.

Indian of St Pete- great service department!

K9F

….. They also the latest flash/tune has already been installed on my bike. No further issues found.
Indian of St Pete- great service department!

Let's hope you don't want an aftermarket tune in the next few weeks then? Glad it's sorted.

kiwi dave

I was having the same issues. Once my Bussmann circuit breakers arrived, I was hoping the problem would be resolved. It wasn't. Got the battery tested at three different places, and each time it passed with flying colors.

So I have developed a procedure that works for me. It may not help others, but what have you got to lose?

After switch on, wait until the dashboard settles down. (I read that it's not necessary, but I like to follow the procedure).

1. Hit the start button. I immediately hear a click, but nothing else. I release the button.

2. I wait until I hear a second click (one of the circuit breakers releasing I assume).

3. Hit the start button again. It fires up instantly.

If you're having start issues, try this procedure. Having no issues now.

Max Kool

The click is not a breaker (they are semi conductors), must be a relay of some sorts you hear?

kiwi dave

Here's what I replaced them with ....

1599444139493.png
Definitely a circuit breaker, not a fuse.

But you're right, it will be a relay that is making the noise.

The starting issue only occurs when the motor is cold, when warm it starts immediately. YMMV.

Attachments

• 1599444114504.png
    1599444114504.png
    149.2 KB · Views: 3

kiwi dave

Nope. Fuel Moto FTR-S1_NCT_2.0_R1. I am about to try FTR-S1_NCT_1.0_R1 after I refuel.

Then I will make a decision which one I like better.

johnnynice

Anyone figure out definitively what this problem is? Just bought a 2019 FTR, and I've been having to jump start it every day. Tried a new battery, no good. No recalls. And it takes months to get an appointment at a dealership here.