Gilles rearsets install

Fuse5

Didn´t installed the flip ups yet ..have to test position before on a ride
(just to follow how it looks with the standard pegs)

IMG_3482.JPG

Got the passenger ones from Wunderkind ..doesn´t/ wouldn´t look that bad with the flip Gilles ones
(..everbody got different thinks and likes :D)

IMG_3483.JPG

Didn´t installed the flip ups yet ..have to test position before on a ride
(just to follow how it looks with the standard pegs)

View attachment 770

Got the passenger ones from Wunderkind ..doesn´t/ wouldn´t look that bad with the flip Gilles ones
(..everbody got different thinks and likes :D)

View attachment 771
Passenger ones look nice and match the Giles well I think. I actually like the Giles non flip but as I purchased the flips felt the need to put them on.

edgelett

nice they look good - like the Gilles flip up pegs too, will have to get them when the dollar recovers.

Max Kool

I just can't leave shit alone I guess. After thinking I had the ergos setup correctly, I noticed the throw of the shift lever is way bigger than stock. Then I started measuring. Apparently Gilles designed these with a longer shifter than stock, but keeping the rest of the linkage the same geometry. As a result you have to move your foot way more than on a stock bike.

The stock shifter is 100mm long, while the Gilles one is 120 to 140 depending on which hole you use for the shift tip. The arm connecting to the linkage is the same 50mm as stock. That's up to 40% extra lever travel for the same shifting action. A 2.0 stock ratio vs 2.4 to 2.8 for the Gilles...

not good.

I have decided to fix this by shortening the link arm on the gearbox by 25%, that should bring it back in range.

To be continued, part is underway to a welding buddy of mine. Not in a rush.

Max Kool

Shortened linkarm. BeforeD4CB43D2-61B7-4E20-B184-8525E41D3021.jpeg

After
E457E136-D56B-471F-8956-FE9AC48B517E.jpeg

that should do the trick. Went down from 32 to 23mm, a 30% reduction.

will let you know more once I have it back.

Max Kool

And the final result, side by side. Before I sprayed it black I mounted it for testing purposes. With this shortened shift arm (from 32 to 23 eye to eye) the throw of the shift lever is back to normal, highly recommended.

Image from iOS (13).jpg

And I just heard @ferraiolo1 has even better news for us. No need to cut and weld.... (take it away Mike!)

Last edited:

Max Kool

And an even more shortened link arm. This is the one @ferraiolo1 posted earlier, but with one hole extra drilled and tapped. Center to center comes out around 19-20mm. I had to file off a little from the rear side to clear the bolt head. As I needed to make sure the added forces wont damage the threads, I screwed the bolt in from the rear, and secured it with a counter nut (yes, the hole is threaded too). So it's extra secure. And of course afterwards secured the joint with a nyloc nut.

Lever travel is even more reduced this way. Stationary it feels very good, I just haven riden it yet. Let's just hope it's not too notchy (more on Friday).
Image from iOS (13).jpg

Max Kool

I sent a email to Gilles. I love their products, and the craftsmanship of their products. I do feel they missed the bar on this one.

Hello Gilles people,

I have been using the RCT10GT (rearsets for the FTR1200) for a while now, and I have a few remarks I want to share with you. First of all, fit and finish, perfect!!!

But, when I first installed them I couldn't get the shifter position right. If it was right for downshifting, it was way too high for up shifts, and the other way around. It was like the travel of the peg was simply too long. Then I started measuring, depending on the peg position the shifter length is 120 to 140mm, and the arm pointing down, connecting to the linkage is around 50mm.

On the stock FTR rearsets the shifter is around 100mm, and the arm pointing down is the same 50mm.

Which means the lever travel on the Gilles rearsets is 20-40% longer than stock! No wonder I couldn't find the ideal position. See pic. The ratio had changed!

Image from iOS.jpg

Really the only way I could solve this was by installing a shorter elbow on the shift shaft. I reduced it from the stock 32mm to around 20mm to get decent lever travel. This could easily have been prevented by making the arm connecting to the shift rod -the yellow arrow- 70mm instead of 50mm. Or even better, having the pivot point of the shifter in front of the pedal -like stock- instead of below.

See pic of the shortened shifter elbow.

Image from iOS (2).jpg

On the brake side, the lever just can't go high enough if you prefer the high position of the peg. I had to file off several mm's of the baseplate before the brake pedal is reachable. Yes, with the lever tip on the highest position.

Image from iOS (1).jpg

These are things you might want to consider before you produce a second run.

After these mods I really like them, but for 500 bucks they could have been better. It looks like no one did an extensive test ride, and most people that I know have bought these rearsets are complaining about getting the shifter travel right, and the adjustment of the brake pedal....

Kind regards

Max

Even if I don't get a reply, I think they should know.

After the mods I made, I love them now, and a huge improvement over stock. Shifting is better and shorter than stock. Yes, worth it to me. And I don't care putting a few hours in a little project like this. But not everyone has a shed with enough tools though... and geometrically they're still not perfect, all angles of the elbow-rod assembly at rest should be -around- 90 degrees in an ideal world.

Last edited:

edgelett

Thanks for taking the time to do that Max. I'm very interested in them but for me, at that price, needing to do extra adjustments just isn't worth it.
I'd just get a set of cheaparse sports pegs instead.

jojo

I would hope that Giles will do some sort of upgrade for those of us that have already purchased a set of rearsets.

Max Kool

I'm still emailing Gilles like every two or three weeks. Covid, summer break, apparently they need their time. They are well aware of the design issues though, and I even explained how most of us are solving it (12 dollar GSXR shift arm). Deutsche Gründlichkeit costs time...

Still to be continued. (little disappointing yes)

Viking06

I installed these lovely footcontrol this afternoon and I also found there’s way to much travel in the shifting.
Could you tell me wich GSXR shift arm you’ve used ? (Model year).
thanks