Gilles rearsets install

Viking06

I received the shift arm and tried to mount it I was unsuccessful.
The one I have looks exactly as yours but ...
It won't fit the shaft or did you guys used the viking way to mount it : if it doesn't fit with force than try even harder ?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Remove the retaining bolt. You can use a small flat head screw driver to open it a bit. Then it should slide on

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Mine wasn’t that hard. But it is a Chinese part. And we all know how their quality control is

Max Kool

Remove the retaining bolt. You can use a small flat head screw driver to open it a bit. Then it should slide on
That's how mine went on, very easy actually.

Maybe they sent the wrong model by accident? (diameter, number of teeth different...)

Good luck!

Viking06

I saw that some sellers on Ebay offer either fine of coarse teethed shift arms, shouldn’t I buy the coarsed one ?

IWCREW

I have the Gilles Tooling complete set of goodies for the Indian Wrecking Crew Tribute build, rear sets, levers, brake reservoir cover, and stand buttons. Will post pics when they are mounted.

IWCREW

I sent a email to Gilles. I love their products, and the craftsmanship of their products. I do feel they missed the bar on this one.

Hello Gilles people,

I have been using the RCT10GT (rearsets for the FTR1200) for a while now, and I have a few remarks I want to share with you. First of all, fit and finish, perfect!!!

But, when I first installed them I couldn't get the shifter position right. If it was right for downshifting, it was way too high for up shifts, and the other way around. It was like the travel of the peg was simply too long. Then I started measuring, depending on the peg position the shifter length is 120 to 140mm, and the arm pointing down, connecting to the linkage is around 50mm.

On the stock FTR rearsets the shifter is around 100mm, and the arm pointing down is the same 50mm.

Which means the lever travel on the Gilles rearsets is 20-40% longer than stock! No wonder I couldn't find the ideal position. See pic. The ratio had changed!

View attachment 1246

Really the only way I could solve this was by installing a shorter elbow on the shift shaft. I reduced it from the stock 32mm to around 20mm to get decent lever travel. This could easily have been prevented by making the arm connecting to the shift rod -the yellow arrow- 70mm instead of 50mm. Or even better, having the pivot point of the shifter in front of the pedal -like stock- instead of below.

See pic of the shortened shifter elbow.

View attachment 1247

On the brake side, the lever just can't go high enough if you prefer the high position of the peg. I had to file off several mm's of the baseplate before the brake pedal is reachable. Yes, with the lever tip on the highest position.

View attachment 1248

These are things you might want to consider before you produce a second run.

After these mods I really like them, but for 500 bucks they could have been better. It looks like no one did an extensive test ride, and most people that I know have bought these rearsets are complaining about getting the shifter travel right, and the adjustment of the brake pedal....

Kind regards

Max

Even if I don't get a reply, I think they should know.

After the mods I made, I love them now, and a huge improvement over stock. Shifting is better and shorter than stock. Yes, worth it to me. And I don't care putting a few hours in a little project like this. But not everyone has a shed with enough tools though... and geometrically they're still not perfect, all angles of the elbow-rod assembly at rest should be -around- 90 degrees in an ideal world.
Max... hope you don't mind but I sent your thread to the sales manager at Gilles Tooling that I have been dealing with for my IWC Tribute build. I'll post their response.

Viking06

Eventually it works !!!!!
I could fit the shift arm and drill another hole closer to the gearbox axle, it’s exactly how I wanted it to be now.

Make sure buying the coarse teethed shift arm, the fine teethed doesn’t work on our FTR.