limited speed

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yes, you need a pv3 tuner. And new tires that have a higher speed rating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks alot, I thought that power vision 3 was only a tuner for exhaust s&s slip on that I'm considering to buy next week! Indian motorcycles in Greece though due to a European emissions law they warned me that if I update the tune I'll loose my warranty..

Murdock

... if I update the tune I'll loose my warranty..
Yes Sir, that is true. And because you also change the emission values, you can be judged for tax evasion. If you want to do this on a legal way ... buy a Volkswagen 🤣😂

On the other hand .... nobody knows what you have done to your mapping and why should someone check this? Only if you kill your engine and ask for replacement your dealer might read it out.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Incorrect. It doesn’t automatically void your warranty. I’ve yet to see a post where Indian denied a warranty claim due to a tune.

My dealer has a ftr where they did the fm cat delete and tune on their floor model.

Why would an Indian dealer do this if it voided the warranty?

Murdock

I would say there is a difference if your Indian dealer - as an authorized person - do it or if you do it on your own or a third party tuner who is not authorized. However, if you delete the speed limit and kill your engine with High Speed Excesses I would not expect any manufacturer to cover this by warranty.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
They all use the same tuner. My dealer didn’t care if I did it or if they did it.

Indian isn’t like Harley where your warranty is automatically voided the second a non hd tuner is hooked up and entered into a world wide computer system.

Perhaps it’s different in your country.

Also you’re not going to blow up your engine with a speed limiter removed. No difference in maxing our 5th gear as it is maxing our 6th gear.

Murdock

Indian isn’t like Harley where your warranty is automatically voided the second a non hd tuner is hooked up
Knowing this would mean that it is not a limitation by the country ;-). If Indian is more relaxed with it .... good for us.

Don't get me wrong: I removed the Speed Limit from my GMC and changed a few parameters to optimize it. But this vehicle is 20 years out of warranty :giggle:

Thanks alot guys for your quick response and help! I don't know why they do this nowadays in Greece.. They where very strict especially if I remove the catalytic converter! Also if I upload the new mapping in the next service they will propably read that and the thing is that they are sending all the data to polaris international database.. So in order not that to happen I have to delete the map every time I go to the dealership! What I'm actually thinking, I would like to have a feedback from you guys as well, is to just connect the s&s slip on in the catalyst without a tuner and see how this works first! And after that in a year buy the power vision the air filter and the connecting pipe for the exhaust

K9F

Having just had my left knee replaced I have shit loads of time on my hands so I will respond, stick my head above the parapet and await the inevitable fallout from those that think they may know better?

I’ve yet to see a post where Indian denied a warranty claim due to a tune.

Here's one from the other not FTR exclusive forum where the power train warranty has been flagged and voided. Punch in warranty denial in the search facility there's quite a lot of good information...….

"ok, so I have some info that I hope will save others headaches. first, my setup. I am running indian oem s1 ac slip ons and Indian s2 cams. I bought the pvcx in the winter and loaded up fm modified stage 2 tune without issue. the tune itself appears to be a nice improvement over indian flash. however, that's where the good news ends. after the first couple of rides I started getting a chassis fault light on my dash (2016 springfield). also a check engine code on my display. the chassis fault can mean any number of electrical issues, so as I was taking my scoot into the dealer for new handlebars I decided to have them check it out. I reflashed my indian s2 flash before taking the bike in.

we'll today I get a call from the dealer and his first question is what did you do to your calibration. he said that the error codes were generated with a different calibration that was currently on the bike. the error basically said throttle angle request not recognized. which means that the ecm was getting a signal from the fuel moto tune for a specific throttle blade opening but didn't know how to process the request. he could see all this through the digital wrench. he had no idea how to proceed because he was unable to clear the error code. at this point I had to tell him I had bought and installed a pvcx and was using a different calibration. he said he would have to contact indian as he had no way to clear the code.

well, he called a couple of hours later and informed me that the only way to clear the code was to download indian's new s2 calibration (just released this week) and that my vin has been entered into indian's database and my power train warranty was now void.

so, before anyone points this out, yes putting a tuner on your scoot will void your warranty. however, one of the considerations I put a lot of stock into was both dynojet's and fm's assertion that changes to the calibration can't be detected at the dealer level. this is obviously false. dj and fm need to now tell anyone still under warranty that if they have any issues requiring digital wrench interface they will be found out and their warranty will be voided. I take full responsibility for purchasing decisions regarding my scoot, but know this; once you install the pvcx, your warranty is effectively null and void. I have dealt with both fm and dj back in my hd days and found their work high quality. but frankly I don't appreciate being the victim of inaccurate info. I put this info out there to help others understand the full extent of the risk they take by installing the pvcx."

Moving on to the OP's issue.....

Does anybody actually take time to read the manual and/or the warranty exclusions?

Ultimately it is your bike, your choice. Many dealerships will offer tuning and customisation upgrades and take the responsibility themselves if anything goes wrong, repairs are carried out on the onus of the dealership not under warranty unless they deem they will get away with it perhaps or the fault is non related to any upgrades?

Be warned even reverting the map back to original for dealership purposes it will leave a footprint. Speak to your dealership first if you wish to retain your two not one year warranty. The relationship you have with your dealership is vitally important should you wish to change or upgrade exhaust and/or fuelling. Read into this what you will but everything is open to interpretation. Only you yourself can gauge the potential implications your modifications may have and if you wish to run the risk (however small) of trashing your warranty? The following are direct copies from the warranty section of MY manual regarding exclusions.....

Removal or puncturing of the muffler, baffles, header pipes or any other component which conducts exhaust gases.
Replacing any moving part of the vehicle, or parts of the exhaust system or intake system, with parts other than those specifically specified by the manufacturer.

The list of exclusions goes on and on and does include fuelling and computers...…...

Personally I will be getting a tune at some point. My dealership stated at the time I got my bike that removing the catalytic converter would NOT require a fuelling remap, I have covered 2,500 miles since. I have no doubt it would run better with one and it is on my list. With regards to fitting the S & S without a map I have no idea but your own dealership or perhaps Moore Speed Racing who strip new Indians and build customs with warranty may be able to advise further? But just fitting the S&S alone 'could' potentially compromise warranty if your dealership is an arse in which case you may as well buy the exhaust and the PVIII and just crack on, especially when they have already stated your warranty will be history with a map anyway? Chances are the exhaust alone will do the same and kick your warranty into touch.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Learn something new everyday.

I guess that’s why it pays to have a good relationship with your dealer.

K9F

I agree, with anything you do to your bike having a good relationship with your dealer is of paramount importance as IF it goes horribly wrong you certainly want him batting for your team. In the OP Passimakopoulos's case it appears on the face of what he has stated his dealer is not onboard in which case he may be backing a loser if he does anything at all even just exhaust?

They said, if you add the slip on without the tuner and removing the catalytic converter you won't have any issues with the warranty! It will be OK! Also I have contacted s&s and they told me that the bike staying iddle will have the same. Sound effect with the original ones but opening the throttle will have a better sound. It doesn't affect the performance of the bike and everything will be the same.
Always talking everything with my dealership cause I want to have great relationship and for sure not loosing my warranty!
And to be honest after reading this great I fos from our forum friend for sure I won't do Anything to the bike! Is still a brand New model and things might change for the greater good!

Thanks alot for your help guys! Much appreciated! 💪

Max Kool

They said, if you add the slip on without the tuner and removing the catalytic converter you won't have any issues with the warranty! It will be OK!
Sounds like they got no idea what they’re talking about, and they’re just afraid of the idea of running an alternate fuel map.

Sounds like they got no idea what they’re talking about, and they’re just afraid of the idea of running an alternate fuel map.
Yup!
To be honest there are many things that they don't know about the bike! On of the dealership stuff told me that the bike comes with GPS maps!
😂🤣

Fuse5

They said, if you add the slip on without the tuner and removing the catalytic converter you won't have any issues with the warranty! It will be OK! Also I have contacted s&s and they told me that the bike staying iddle will have the same. Sound effect with the original ones but opening the throttle will have a better sound. It doesn't affect the performance of the bike and everything will be the same.

is it official? ..or i missunderstand something?
(would like to have same config, but nobody get a ok yet, btw. cat-converter we cant delete in europe normally, but this is a different thing)

is it official? ..or i missunderstand something?
(would like to have same config, but nobody get a ok yet, btw. cat-converter we cant delete in europe normally, but this is a different thing)
Adding the slip on in the catalytic converter without any tuner works fine for the dealership in Athens - Greece! Just the slip on
Nothing else! They also don't mind removing the dB reducer of the exhaust! Tell your dealership about adding only the slip on! Where in Europe do you live?

Fuse5

Thanks a lot for your info !
Slip on is easy (S&S).. but there isn´t a dealership with warranty on it.. (Germany) afaik, therefore my request.
Reducer removing.. there are still race ones (if needed).. and Greece are maybe a bit different in rules.