MotoGP

FTR London

Márquez:

"I can say that I'm in the same good shape now as I was in winter 2018/2019," said the Spaniard. "I feel okay, but I only really started physical training two weeks ago. For example, I was able to drive well yesterday. Even this morning, when I was pushing, I did a decent job. But then as the day goes on I'm not able to maintain a consistent pace. Driving fast, really pushing, you can't do that over a long period of time. The plan was that I would just drive all day. But then I asked the team to end the program early in the morning. I then took a longer break and went back out on the track in the afternoon. But in the afternoon we were stopped by the rain. Nevertheless, it's the best training for me when I'm allowed to ride the MotoGP Honda, because it's also about understanding the new bike even better. I wasn't able to test in Jerez in November. So it was my first time on this new bike."

Next weekend, Marc Márquez drives three days on the new Mandalika Street Circuit in Indonesia. He hopes for further improvements there. "The toughest two days were definitely Sepang, because it's a very physically demanding route," assured Marc. «Sepang demands everything from you; this first test is always very strenuous after the winter break. But now we have four days rest before the three days in Mandalika. I'm looking forward to the next test and I'll be happy if I can complete more laps. What reassures me: the speed is there. I felt that clearly in the morning during the 'time attack'. Times were also good at lunchtime when I pushed. Yesterday I made two mistakes... For today I have resolved not to risk any more falls. I slowed down the pace a bit I drove with a comfortable mode. In the afternoon I went out again on the wet track to get to know the new bike in wet conditions. I was fast again in the wet. That's why I'm happy."

edgelett

0.8 seconds separate the first 16 riders.
that's pretty nuts. I hope it means very close racing this year.

Not surprised Marquez isn't match fit yet. Cleared to ride doesn't mean able to maintain a full race.
he'll get there, but i don't think we'll see him come out blazing at Qatar. But if he works extremely hard between now and then who knows? Track time is what he needs.

The MotoGP has been the Spanish (and occasionally French and Itallian GP) for quite some time. Riders from Australia, UK, US and Japan are all at a disadvantage due to there not being huge riding acadamies and junior track racing like there is in Europe. Having said that, the dirt riders we've seen from those countries have been awesome when they get a chance - but they need to work twice as hard to get there.

Looking forward to the first race of the year!

Helge

Great start into the season as close as last year...expect the same also at next weekend at Mandalika circuit.

That will be an interesting first race beginning of March....I bet a podium for MM93 ;)

FTR London

Same here - I always disable it on the FTR, seems to reduce the throttle 'hunting'. ;)

Isn't this great though? It wouldn't be possible to race competitively without it - particularly given the power of the KTM - but it might be possible to dial some of it out. It won't happen though. Getting all that power to ground and drive out of the corner is a real problem for KTM and although I'd love to see a return to the gung-ho tail gunning flat track styles of the two stroke era, Gardner's not about to become the next Garry McCoy anytime soon. As he says - it will allow him to understand the bike better. Amused me that he was talking to Dani about racing without it. Pretty sure he still has memories of Aragon 2013 courtesy of Márquez

162648.big.jpg

2013-ara-mgp-race-action-pedrosa-crash.gallery_thumbnail_2x.jpg

Max Kool

Was that when Marguez’ front wheel hit that rear wheel sensor? (Great footage of this incident/accident in “Hitting the Apex btw)

edgelett

Was that when Marguez’ front wheel hit that rear wheel sensor? (Great footage of this incident/accident in “Hitting the Apex btw)
thats the one!

i don't deny MM's riding ability, but he has no qualms about using his bike as a plow lol

FTR London

Mandalika, Marini fastest and top Ducati, pipping Márquez's Honda by 0.192 seconds. Surprisingly, Viñales third. Final day tomorrow 1.00pm GMT.

FTR London

Have HRC started to actually listen to other riders instead of Marc Márquez? - perhaps we should ask Pol who is enthusing that he can at last ride the bike as he wants to. No doubt Honda are back, but I don't think Ducati have played all their cards yet whilst Yamaha seem to have stagnated. The riders all seem to like Mandalika which always bodes well. Amazing to think the season kicks off in three weeks.

edgelett

21 riders within a second is pretty amazing.
As testing is as much about changing aero, working out set ups etc as finding fastest single lap times, I suspect some are only going to get quicker once the season proper starts

edgelett

The first race weekend of the year is finally on us.
Sadly the Qatar race is on at 1:30am on Monday for me so I will have to tape it then watch later on.
but I'm really excited for the first race of the season :)

Sullaha

Pecco, Fabulous, Martin for the podium. Of course these new Hondas and that blind guy with one working arm might spoil the party. Zarco will get a long lap penalty.

Let's see who gets some of those references.