Need opinions of my headlight mod.

FTR London

Soz mate... How could I forget! Heated grips? Too far... Too far!
I am possibly the biggest preacher on this forum when it comes to the my belief in puritanical aesthetics of what purports to be a flat track racer. I simply can't comprehend some of the directions some individuals have taken a bike that was pledged to resemble this...

FTR1200-2.jpg

It is however time for confessional.

I bought my FTR (a 2020) from a dealer. Got a great deal. A guy had traded it in after three months. It was a present for his girlfriend who was 5ft2"- and she couldn't get on with it. Given the unspecified demonic flash that I encountered on it which made it behave like 'Christine', I'm not in the least bit surprised. The only mod that had been made was this...

IMG_20220415_171725524.jpg

Since I've always intended to replace the ridiculous sit up and beg bars I let it slide - and in truth, I've been very grateful for them during those 6.00am commutes when it's 1°C and a windchill factor of -15. I'm still waiting for the bars - had no idea when I ordered that they were coming from China - but if and when they eventually arrive, I might actually keep the girps on. For the sake of a little box clamped to the left - who's going to notice? (Apart from everyone on this forum now).

WayneFTR

I am possibly the biggest preacher on this forum when it comes to the my belief in puritanical aesthetics of what purports to be a flat track racer. I simply can't comprehend some of the directions some individuals have taken a bike that was pledged to resemble this...

View attachment 6073

It is however time for confessional.

I bought my FTR (a 2020) from a dealer. Got a great deal. A guy had traded it in after three months. It was a present for his girlfriend who was 5ft2"- and she couldn't get on with it. Given the unspecified demonic flash that I encountered on it which made it behave like 'Christine', I'm not in the least bit surprised. The only mod that had been made was this...

View attachment 6075

Since I've always intended to replace the ridiculous sit up and beg bars I let it slide - and in truth, I've been very grateful for them during those 6.00am commutes when it's 1°C and a windchill factor of -15. I'm still waiting for the bars - had no idea when I ordered that they were coming from China - but if and when they eventually arrive, I might actually keep the girps on. For the sake of a little box clamped to the left - who's going to notice? (Apart from everyone on this forum now).
We are only joking mate.. your bike, your money... x

FTR London

We are only joking mate.. your bike, your money... x
So am I - no offence taken. I think it's hilarious...particularly since I am one of the biggest critics on here of some of the frankly unfathomable after market decisions that some have made. Like I said, I didn't buy or fit them. They might stay on, they might end up on Ebay. This bike should be raw and spartan imo.

Last edited:

WayneFTR

So am I - no offense taken. I think it's hilarious...particularly since I am one of the biggest critics on here of some of the frankly unfathomable after market decisions that some have made. Like I said, I didn't buy or fit them. They might stay on, they might end up on Ebay. This bike should be raw and spartan imo.
Your a good sport geez. Greetings from Southend my mate. X

FTR London

Finally, can't wait to get these fuckers on...

IMG_20220416_110201295.jpg

It boils my piss that I've had to spend so much money getting this bike to at best, remotely resemble the flat track racer that Indian originally promised.

FTR London

They are the pro taper flat track bars indian sold. The are much wider than Oem bars and not that useful on the street.
Incorrect, they are actually exactly the same width as the OEM - 82cm/820mm. I ensured that the dimensions were identical for that reason. As Max points out, the control area was the crucial thing which needs to be 220. It's the rise that is the main difference, which was one of main reasons I bought them because I think the OEM bars are frankly ludicrous and look absurd on a supposed flat track racer. Apologies, it may be that they are not the 'fat bar' and I am confusing the terminology. I do assure you though that they are precisely the same width, moreover I have ridden identical bars and they are of no hinderance "on the street" whatsoever.

Max Kool

Meanwhile I’m going through the Protaper catalog and I can find any bars that are 820mm wide and have a 220mm control area… so which exact model are these?

FTR London

Meanwhile I’m going through the Protaper catalog and I can find any bars that are 820mm wide and have a 220mm control area… so which exact model are these?
:ROFLMAO: Why? Do you want to order them?

Actually, apologies, my bad, they are not even listed as that wide - that may be why. They are 1-1/8" 810mm length, 28mm 220. I'll post a picture when they are on. I assure you they are not "much wider than the OEM bars and not that useful on the street". I know which look better to my eye for a supposed flat track racer.

Full spec:

Width: 810
Height: 100
Raise: 58
Clamp Area: 120
Sweep: 42
Control Area: 220

This is why prior to ordering, earlier in the thread I was asking whether anyone could refer me to the full specifications of the OEM bars - simply to make it easier. Hope this helps.

Last edited: