Need opinions of my headlight mod.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
weird. My dealer had two bikes. One with the flat track bars. One without. The flat track bars sure did seem wider. And the term “fat bar” is commonly used for these types of bars that aren’t 7/8th in all the way across. It’s a standard Dirtbike bar as well.

although how did we go from a headlight to a handlebar dissuasion?

FTR London

weird. My dealer had two bikes. One with the flat track bars. One without. The flat track bars sure did seem wider. And the term “fat bar” is commonly used for these types of bars that aren’t 7/8th in all the way across. It’s a standard Dirtbike bar as well.

although how did we go from a headlight to a handlebar dissuasion?
My fault entirely. Apologies to headlight guy.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
If I remember correctly the flat track bars are 902mm and the standard 2019 bars are 850ish mm. The mount of the flat track bars is to have a wider and slightly lower stance.

Max Kool

Just the Protaper part number would be very helpful, something like 027917 printed on them somewhere (or on the packaging).

FTR London

They are the oversized ones which these are not.

I've just measured these again, and the width is 820, not 810, with the same sized control area of 220 as the OEMs, but Max is correct they do not conform to pro taper EVO listings, here....
Screenshot 2022-04-17 173513.jpg

They will fit perfectly and the quality is exactly as you would expect. I suspect these are now a defunct product line or it's not inconceivable that they are a knock off.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yeah the actual flat track bars you could buy from indian are wider than Oem.

as that’s the entire point of flat track bars. To have a wider stance.

FTR London

Yeah the actual flat track bars you could buy from indian are wider than Oem.

as that’s the entire point of flat track bars. To have a wider stance.
Agreed - I understand what you were originally getting at. If you look at the project bike, the hooligan street going builds and the RSD makeover/collection you can visibly see this. As you say, very wide for a purpose - and not very practical on the street. However, these bars are the same width as the OEM and have the same control area, whilst having the looks of a flat tracker bar, which is why I bought them - not liking the raise on the stock bars. I've encountered and ridden similar on other bikes before which is what I was looking for without buying the extra wide authentic track bars.

The logical conclusion from your own and Max's observations is that the bars I have are either defunct or as I'm beginning to strongly suspect, fake. If so, they are damn good quality - but also, exactly what I was looking for. What governed my purchase was the dimensions as opposed to consideration of whether or not they were legit. It's quite possible that they are not. Thanks for your input.