Side stand too long

JDP

kkIs anyone having trouble with the side stand, seems like my bike is almost straight up when on the side stand, just wondering if anyone has done anything to get more lean

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
A few people cut theirs and had it re welded. Is your spring tension set correctly for your weight? Most people has theirs set at zero making the bike sit a little lower

Blue1

I trimmed the area that the side stand stop made contact when extended. I probably took off only .050" (my guesstimate), working up to it.

This allows the stand to extend a little further over center. My FTR probably leans a few degrees further and now is where I think it should be for stability.

Go slow! You can't put material back.

FTRUK

Had my brand new replacement FTR running in garage on concrete and went and unlocked the gate at end of lane,returned to find it on its side :(
snap the clutch lever and broke the new bar end indicator, I keep thinking I didn’t have it on the stand properly but wondering now with other people’s episodes.
I might grind off a bit like cupcake.
Not having best of luck with the purchase of the FTR.

FTRUK

Not with it running !
I was warming the thing up.
Maybe when it cut out as it does it jolted it off the stand.....I have never had a bike fall over before this thing.

K9F

Personally it would never happen to me under such circumstances as I deem it ‘bad practice’ to leave any vehicle unattended whilst running! Shit happens and we learn from our mistakes like the time I moved the FTR whilst on the starboard side, unbeknown to me a flower pot knocked up my stand. I only just caught it in time when I let the bike go expecting it to rest on the stand!

kemccall

She’s a touchy bit_ch about that stand. Ive often wondered if that stand is too long!

Anyone know of a center stand?

kemccall

no centre stands out there at this stage.
cut the side stand and you'll be a lot happier :)
Well, guess I'll just continue to be vigilant every time I put that thing down. One thing I've discovered is - I hate working on motorcycles. There's always some WTF moment or unexpected weirdness all accompanied by difficult to get to spaces. I wish I would have shortened it months ago.

I've dropped this bike more times than I'll ever admit. I've replaced brake levers, scratched my pipes and even replaced those silly weights on the ends of the handle bars. Never while riding, just doing the simplest things. Argh.

edgelett

I took 15mm out of mine, and should have taken 20mm out.
It's a lot better now though. leans properly and doesnt' scrape the ground whenever I kick it down.

BTW I believe Mike was referring to your rear suspension when he mentioned spring tension

Timps27

@edgelett I know what you mean on scraping the ground, I’ve gotten in the habit of leaning the bike right every time before I put the stand down. So 20mm is the right number you think? I’m planning that as winter maintenance here in the northern hem.

D

Deleted member 706

Rather than cut it I've thought about heat and bend. One bend at the top to lower it and widen the spread and another at the bottom to flatten the foot.
I might have to dummy it up with a piece of number 8 wire to see how it might look.