Weird Electrical Issue

kiwi dave

Today I washed my FTR1200S, and dried it as best I could.

I then rode it under the Covid-19 radar to chase out the last of the moisture. Ran fine, returned home and turned the ignition key off.

This is when I noticed the rear right hand blinker was glowing bright. Switch the ignition back on, started the motor, but the rear right blinker still glowed. Switched the motor off.

Concerned it might eventually flatten the battery, I put my trickle charger on, and lo & behold, the blinker stopped glowing. Removed the charger, the blinker stayed off. Started the motor again, but couldn't make the fault reappear.

I'm stumped! Anyone care to comment?

motocroft

Today I washed my FTR1200S, and dried it as best I could.

I then rode it under the Covid-19 radar to chase out the last of the moisture. Ran fine, returned home and turned the ignition key off.

This is when I noticed the rear right hand blinker was glowing bright. Switch the ignition back on, started the motor, but the rear right blinker still glowed. Switched the motor off.

Concerned it might eventually flatten the battery, I put my trickle charger on, and lo & behold, the blinker stopped glowing. Removed the charger, the blinker stayed off. Started the motor again, but couldn't make the fault reappear.

I'm stumped! Anyone care to comment?
I wonder if the trickle charger reset the CAN-bus?

kiwi dave

Yep, blinkers are stock.

Moisture in the blinker might be valid, but this doesn't explain how the charger made it disappear.

I'm a stout atheist and skeptic, but something is really weird.

kiwi dave

Can bus should not be affected by adding a charger across the battery. The can bus is a balanced system is it not, a slight change of battery voltage should not affect it.

I'll report back if it happens again. The warranty is still valid, but recreating the fault might not be possible.

motocroft

Can bus should not be affected by adding a charger across the battery. The can bus is a balanced system is it not, a slight change of battery voltage should not affect it.

I'll report back if it happens again. The warranty is still valid, but recreating the fault might not be possible.
Depends on the charger.
Some (like mine) have a specific CAN-bus mode which negotiates with the vehicle on charge rate etc when connected.
It might be possible that during this initialization something was reset?

motocroft

OH - I re-read this (across the battery)
So I assume you're not using the bikes own charging lead and simply using alligator clips on the battery terminals.
Yep, disregard my comment - if this is what you did - agreed. No CAN-bus interaction at all.

kiwi dave

Just to elaborate to explain where I connected the charger, it was via the SAE connector behind the LH V-cover, not the one at the battery itself, which is a right front bum to get access to.

1631996640481.png

TOOmuchTuna

having the same issue with mine. my bike bogs down when i cut the blinkers on and the rear right blinker stays dim every now and then even when the bike is off without the key indserted.

Breto

That could be caused by having no resistors on aftermarket indicators.
I seem to remember someone here had an issue similar to that. Current draw and a faint glow from an indicator. Think they had after market LED’s as well. 🤔

Osclie

Mine does too. I fitted the new Tank Machine rear indicators and they glow once the ignition is turned of. I have timed it and it last about 2:10 min. Any one know why??

Max Kool

One per indicator yes. Im not 100% sure if the FTR requires the same value btw, I never measured mine.