Where did you ride your FTR today?

D

Deleted member 706

A bit of a test ride on the 43 tooth rear sprocket. 4000 RPM has gone from 108 K's to 122 K's or at 100 K's it's dropped about 500 RPM.
Thanks for the heads up on the 43 tooth sprocket when I was going to put a 45 tooth on it.

edgelett

As we're selling my husband's Harley at the moment, today we headed out with me on my Indian FTR and he took my other bike, a 1998 Honda Hornet 600.
Great ride through the hills despite there being a fair bit of sand dropped on Norton Summit Road (guessing a truck had gone through earlier) which slowed us down a little, stopped in Lobethal for an early lunch and carried on then switched bikes in Birdwood because...we can lol. Both bikes love the twisty stuff but handle it at such different rev ranges it was a blast!

Click the link to follow our ride if you like, make sure you select the 3D flyover option (and skip the bit where we stopped for lunch).

1644636712026.png

cupcake_mike

I set off at about 1100 on Friday, weather was beautiful, 55-60F with no cross winds. Leather jacket and summer leather gloves. I had a great 7.5 hr ride to a buddy's house about 45 min East of St. Louis. Bike ran great and the temp never really dropped until I hit Illinois and the sun went down (it was about 36 and sleeting when I stopped for the night). My buddy helped me out with Crown Royal and a steak, just what I needed.

Dropped into the single digits over night and the bike was outside under his carport (at least it didn't get snowed on). Went out after coffee at 0830 and thumbed the starter to get the FTR warming up...nothing, just a click. Cycled through the the display, coolant temp at 12F and the battery showed 11.8v. That's no bueno. My friend had a jumpstart pack and after a few tries we got it to start and stay running. Gave it 15 mins to warm up then I rode it for 30min on the twisty country roads by his house to charge the battery. Came back, ate some breakfast (chugged coffee to warm the extremities) then headed to STL for the Cycle Showcase Show. It was a blustery 52 mile ride at 16F, but nobody ever called me smart or tough, just dumb.

The show was outstanding, got to see a bunch of friends that I don't see nearly enough. This is one of only a couple "midwest" bike shows that still exist. I have quite a few friends who build bikes, but unless I get out to the coasts for the "big" shows, it can be hard to catch up sometimes. I've attached a pic of my friend Jeff's FTR, which I am sure most of you have seen before...its been making the rounds since he finished it up last summer. It was the first opportunity I'd had to see it in the flesh, as the last couple times we've hung out, its been at this show or that show. Truly an insane piece of work. I offered to trade FTRs but his was having battery troubles too :) Way too many drinks and laughs were had that night after the show.

Sunday morning, after not near enough rest, I got up and went outside to find my FTR parked directly adjacent to the very fancy entrance doors of the high class mid-town STL Hilton that I somehow snagged a room for $60 off the internet the night before. Turns out, I forgot to move it after I checked in (this particular place only did valet parking, but nobody had a MC license so they left it to me). Oh well, nobody at the front desk bitched, so I guess it was ok. I thumb the starter and it struggled a bit, but since the temp was only down to 24F that morning, it came to life and after a smoke and about 5 mins of selective throttle inputs I got it up to operating temp. I took it for about 10 miles of ripping around a very architecturally rich area of STL I hadn't explored much, then I found a little hole in the wall southern diner for breakfast. I went back to the hotel, showered, packed and hit the road at about 1100.

The trip home was a bit less nice than the riding on Friday. The temp never got above 32F with a 20mph crosswind out of the north and even with my baselayer and double socks I was a popsicle by the time I got to the house, just as the superbowl kickoff was taking place. The stops every 100 miles for gas (the cold really sucks down the mpg, about 15% less than usual) turned into 30 min+ breaks slugging back coffee. I spent about 6.5 hrs getting back (400 miles), so not horrible, but not quite the pace I kept on Friday.

In my defense, the weatherman said it was supposed to be even warmer on sunday than it was on friday, before I left, but we all know how that can change day to day. Anyway, it was a great weekend and even with the discomfort of winter riding, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I like to think of it this way, sometimes you have to sacrifice your body a little bit to appease the motorcycle gods. It was a fun 1200ish miles over 3 days.

Cheers!

csstl.jpgcocftr.jpgftrstl.jpgstlchurch.jpeg

D

Deleted member 706

Ah yeah the blue colour...
If you have to ask 😳🙄😝🤣😂😜

Breto

Well I haven’t seen much blue in the last couple of months unless I’ve been at work. Every time I go to get the bike out either something is missing or it’s raining…but that is about to change…on the missing part front anyway…the weather? Well it ain’t improving any…💦🌂🐟💧🏍

FTR London

Well I haven’t seen much blue in the last couple of months unless I’ve been at work. Every time I go to get the bike out either something is missing or it’s raining…but that is about to change…on the missing part front anyway…the weather? Well it ain’t improving any…💦🌂🐟💧🏍
Shut it "Berto" - you've never had it so good. ;)

Pleased to see it has found its way home. I did like the sound when it was broken though.

Breto

T
Shut it "Berto" - you've never had it so good. ;)

Pleased to see it has found its way home. I did like the sound when it was broken though
That’s Breto mate and rain sux and that pipe is way too loud without the db killer. 🎧🤦‍♂️