Do you have any other bikes?

EPOCH6

The ol Shovelhead hardtail, built by my Pap and handed down to me when I started riding. Perpetual clutch issues but an absolute riot to ride when it's working. Also Big Red, still starts first pull most days.

20181125_170320-2016x1134.jpg

And my 09 KLX250S, learned to ride on this one, still beat on it frequently. Mostly delegated to riding underground these days.

2021-01-09_10-41-06.jpg

D

Deleted member 706

The ol Shovelhead hardtail, built by my Pap and handed down to me when I started riding. Perpetual clutch issues but an absolute riot to ride when it's working. Also Big Red, still starts first pull most days.

View attachment 2638

And my 09 KLX250S, learned to ride on this one, still beat on it frequently. Mostly delegated to riding underground these days.

View attachment 2639
LOL at Big Red, I remember having a riotous time with a little Big Red one afternoon at friends place. A few beers and a 3 wheeler, a lot of possibilities in the could go wrong department, fortunately no medical intervention was required...
Honda nearly lost their left nut on those 3 wheeler's because of litigious snowflakes.

EPOCH6

LOL at Big Red, I remember having a riotous time with a little Big Red one afternoon at friends place. A few beers and a 3 wheeler, a lot of possibilities in the could go wrong department, fortunately no medical intervention was required...
Honda nearly lost their left nut on those 3 wheeler's because of litigious snowflakes.
I absolutely adore the thing, it was the first machine in my stable and has a special place in my heart. I rode that fat slob around the woods constantly for 2 years before I got the KLX and learned to ride street, it practically lived in the back of my truck.

PSX_20210111_212755.jpg
20170506_130823.jpg
PSX_20210111_212610.jpg

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
you cant kill those old air cooled hondas. My dad has a 93 fourtrax he bought new, its gone through me beating on it in my adolescent years, and plowing the driveway for 28 years in a row, and not one thing has broke on it/.

storm42

View attachment 2638

View attachment 2639

The riding underground bit has my attention, how far can you ride? are they mines? any video?

K9F

The riding underground bit has my attention, how far can you ride? are they mines? any video?

No video but on the other forum there are some fantastic pictures and description of his 15 kilometre trek underground in the abandoned goldmines of British Columbia. Absolutely stunning and interesting and one of the most memorable posts I've seen on any forum, hence the reason I remembered it clearly.

Haulin' Ass on Haulage Level - 15 km Ride Underground in an Abandoned Gold Mine | Indian Motorcycle Forum (indianmotorcycles.net)

Last edited:

EPOCH6

No video but on the other forum there are some fantastic pictures and description of his 15 kilometre trek underground in the abandoned goldmines of British Columbia. Absolutely stunning and interesting and one of the most memorable posts I've seen on any forum, hence the reason I remembered it clearly.

Haulin' Ass on Haulage Level - 15 km Ride Underground in an Abandoned Gold Mine | Indian Motorcycle Forum (indianmotorcycles.net)
@storm42

In BC we have a ton of abandoned gold and silver mines littered across the province, at least a handful are large enough to drive in. This one in particular is only 45 minutes from my home, relatively modern (abandoned in the 80s, bought up, rehabilitated over the last 10 years), and has about 10 km of truck sized tunnels to explore. I am absolutely planning on riding the FTR in there as soon as the snow melts.

storm42

storm42

@storm42

In BC we have a ton of abandoned gold and silver mines littered across the province, at least a handful are large enough to drive in. This one in particular is only 45 minutes from my home, relatively modern (abandoned in the 80s, bought up, rehabilitated over the last 10 years), and has about 10 km of truck sized tunnels to explore. I am absolutely planning on riding the FTR in there as soon as the snow melts.
Sounds like fun, would you consider fitting a video camera?

storm42

Just joined the other forum to see your pics and they are excellent, I find it fascinating going underground and have found caves to explore in the UK, France, Italy and Austria even done some cave diving in Egypt but all guided, I would love to be let loose on a bike in some of them. Not the under water ones obviously:)

I think a video is a must now, the sound must be brilliant, not sure how a video would handle it though.

EPOCH6

Just joined the other forum to see your pics and they are excellent, I find it fascinating going underground and have found caves to explore in the UK, France, Italy and Austria even done some cave diving in Egypt but all guided, I would love to be let loose on a bike in some of them. Not the under water ones obviously:)

I think a video is a must now, the sound must be brilliant, not sure how a video would handle it though.
The sound might be the best part! Made my relatively tame KLX250 sound like a fire breathing dragon, the FTR would be earth shaking in there.

I don't do video myself, not outfitted for it and hesitant to take it up. Taking photos and editing them is a fairly quick process and doesn't really cut into riding time, I wouldn't want to find myself in a position where I'm spending more time filming and editing videos than riding and exploring. A good riding buddy of mine does the GoPro thing, I've already invited him to come up to the mine with me for Round 2 once the snow line is high enough so there may be some footage next time when I ride the FTR up there.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
With the newer gopros, its super easy, you can wifi the vids right to your phone and edit them there. only takes a few min. its how i do some vids on our channel when we arent near a pc

mark.lb

Very cool. - I can barely get my wife to take a ride. She is not comfortable on motorcycles.....