Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) - cold start problem and plenty diagnostic indications when reading the ECU

K9F

Firstly I am surprised that your dealership as they are accept your S & S slipons without affecting your warranty but play extreme hardball with the option of a tune?

Easiest solution would be to stick the original exhausts back on to confirm whether the S & S may be affecting things?

Firstly I am surprised that your dealership as they are accept your S & S slipons without affecting your warranty but play extreme hardball with the option of a tune?

Easiest solution would be to stick the original exhausts back on to confirm whether the S & S may be affecting things?
all the tests they do this week are with the factory exhaust on
they accepted the slip-on because it is just an exhaust end that clips on the catalytic converter and they believe that it doesn't affect the bike's performance.I also spoke with someone from the fuel moto where I purchased the s&s and they said that it would be fine. only If I remove the cat I would need to tune it.

but even though they say that the s&s causes the whole problematic situation are we serious?
i purchased one of the craziest bikes on the market and it can not have another exhaust apart from the factory set up?

and if so you don't allow me to tune it?

that's bollocks if someone from the dealership will tell me this.

fucking Europe regulations mate. other bike brands function perfectly with other exhaust brands without tunning them.

they also told me that I might be getting the whole cabling changed with brand new ones and probably a new ECU

but tomorrow is big day.they are waiting for an email from Indian to tell them what to do next and cross fingers they figure out something.its been a week without my bike and also they have driven the bike for 100klmtr to do their tests.i don't want them to drive it more than that.

hi guys,
today I got my bike back but with the factory exhaust on to test it by myself for 300 kilometres and let them know if anything comes up.
when they did their tests nothing came up with the issues I have been dealing. they uploaded the new software update and so far no weird shutdowns or screen restarts.they were taking instructions from Indian headquarters to do tests and unplug things clean them and put them back on. the only thing that happened is when they opened the fueling spray system to clean it afterwards when they drove it an alert indication appeared about the fueling system! they sent the report to Polaris and they got the answer to change the sensor that is located in the exhaust pipe with a new one.

so that's it.
will see in the next few days if something happens.

they also told me that the software operating system used in Europe for the FTR's is different from the one in USA.
and If I ever wanted to tune it with the powervision i should check if it's compatible with the European one.

Do you guys have heard anything like that?
you have any idea if that is possible?
could I ever upload the powervision tune to my bike and work properly?
or there is a European version tune from powervision.

thanks,

panos.

K9F

Panos, apparently the USA and European tunes are different. Nevertheless as far as I am aware both of the reputable tuners that supply FTR owners with their remarkable services do so all over the World. Fuelmoto USA certainly does as there are five FTR owners in my region that have used them. Three workers at my dealership who have FTRs, myself and S2Davies on this forum. I had the original software fitted and S2Davies the newer Indian version that you now have before we upgraded.

FTRUK

Panos, apparently the USA and European tunes are different. Nevertheless as far as I am aware both of the reputable tuners that supply FTR owners with their remarkable services do so all over the World. Fuelmoto USA certainly does as there are five FTR owners in my region that have used them. Three workers at my dealership who have FTRs, myself and S2Davies on this forum. I had the original software fitted and S2Davies the newer Indian version that you now have before we upgraded.
Iam not aware the owners at Moorespeed have used this service.They have been trying different exhausts,they were in the middle of manufacturing a longer curved decat link with pie cut pieces also.I will contact Colin and inquire.
My new bike is still a mess because it’s been left on stock tune,but will await what happens when I take it in for a service and get it put on dyno and see what tune they Intend to use ( as I’ve already payed for the PV3 and a tune from Colin,all of which was a complete disaster).
I am beginning to think the S&S slip on silencer is just not compatible without the cat.Allso to the guy who’s trying with the same exhaust do you realise that S&S do 2 silencers to fit, one that uses the CAT and one that supposedly without.But when I bought this bike I said no way was I keeping the stock exhausts and I didn’t want fueling problems ( like I had in 2006 with an MV Augusta Brutale910R and was dangerously bad).
This fiasco has ruined my dream of owning this bike to be honest.

Last edited:

K9F

It is not the owners but employees who have bought FTRs that are using this service. I have sent you a message!

Perhaps stating the obvious here? There are only two reputable tuners banging out top quality tunes for the FTR, unfortunately at this juncture based on your own experience Moore Speed ain't one of them. Have you tried some of the other canned generic tunes that were in your PV3 supplied by Dynojet to see if matters improve?

Either way you will need to dig deeper to get FTR nirvana which is already available elsewhere or continue down the path you are treading and wait until the proverbial rabbit if it ever does, eventually pops out of the Moore Speed hat?

I was so glad lock-down came when it did or we both may have been floundering about in the same boat today? They are an awesome dealership and treat me very well but to achieve the accolade of 'reputable in-house tuners' they have unfortunately quite a way to go when it comes to the FTR.

Last edited:

edgelett

yes the EU/AU and USA/North America tunes are different.
Both tuners, Ryan Randall at Indian Charlotte and Fuel Moto make tunes suitable for the EU/AU market and they make a world of difference to the FTR.
I'd be wary of getting a tune from anyone other than these two tuners as there is a LOT of research required to get it right.
any other tuner would need to spend weeks with your bike to perfect it.
These guys have already done that research for you

K9F where do you live? Europe?

Panos, Not for much longer due to Brexit, but I live on the South Coast of England.
so you got a European software upgraded with power vision 3 from fuel moto and everything runs smoother and better from the stock right?
also what exhaust have you on at the moment?

thank you guys this chat has been a better understanding of this FTR situation. I understand that my bike is not a faulty one but this is a worldwide issue and especially in the eurozone with all these restrictions.

Reactions: K9F

K9F

Hi Panos, to be absolutely clear I never had the upgraded software from Indian installed but the original software, nevertheless S2Davies did have the later upgraded software installed and subsequently bought an PV3 from Fuelmoto. Neither of us had any issues with installation. Both of us now have Akropovic exhausts with no catalytic converter baffles left in.

IMG_0568.jpg

i start to think that probably the s&s slip-on is causing my problem.

when you start the bike nowadays do you still have a cold start from time to time?1 in 10 times for example or nothing at all?

K9F

Nothing at all. No hunting, no over-fuelling and no erratic unexpected throttle demands at higher rev gear shifting, all things I did 'live with' much longer than I needed to.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
The updated Indian aah2 software was never approved for EU bikes. Only bikes in North America

And no, a slip on will not affect the bike, unless you have a cat delete as well

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Sure about that? The new software wasn’t approved for eu. Is your cold idle at 1450?

or are you confusing the new ride command update for the new ecu update

K9F

I may have made the same error? There is a distinct difference between the 'Firmware' upgrade (ride command) and the AH2 ECU 'Software' upgrade.

Not sure where we stand in Europe myself but for me it is immaterial as I have not had any of the recalls done! On line for the UK there is only the fuses mentioned.

FTRUK

Sure about that? The new software wasn’t approved for eu. Is your cold idle at 1450?

or are you confusing the new ride command update for the new ecu update
The new update shows a picture of the bike in the panel the old one dosnt for the ride command( on my new ftr)
on my old one I bought in March I was told they upgraded (I believed on Ecu) .I had to wait untill they upgraded it to put it on dyno but it was never the same after,if you look on YouTube my bike is there on Moorespeed tv my bike is the one with the number 6 ,that was before it was upgraded (as they told me) ,that was the best it ever sounded (I never rode it like that ) and it never sounded like that after it was upgraded.Also it seems it was put on the dyno purely for that advertising video.
Both bikes have cut out on cold idle.
i dont think it matters where we live if Indian are selling these bikes they should work.
not too happy with them anyway ....UKs sales guy Andy ( something) was supposed to phone me about the problems I had ,guess what...he couldn’t be bothered !
bottom line I’ve paid £17,500 for the worst running bike I’ve ever owned..... sorry I had a Triumph Tiger Cub in 1978 that was embarrassing to ride also.

Last edited:

edgelett

The new update shows a picture of the bike in the panel the old one dosnt for the ride command( on my new ftr)
on my old one I bought in March I was told they upgraded (I believed on Ecu) .I had to wait untill they upgraded it to put it on dyno but it was never the same after,if you look on YouTube my bike is there on Moorespeed tv my bike is the one with the number 6 ,that was before it was upgraded (as they told me) ,that was the best it ever sounded (I never rode it like that ) and it never sounded like that after it was upgraded.Also it seems it was put on the dyno purely for that advertising video.
Both bikes have cut out on cold idle.
i dont think it matters where we live if Indian are selling these bikes they should work.
not too happy with them anyway ....UKs sales guy Andy ( something) was supposed to phone me about the problems I had ,guess what...he couldn’t be bothered !
bottom line I’ve paid £17,500 for the worst running bike I’ve ever owned..... sorry I had a Triumph Tiger Cub in 1978 that was embarrassing to ride also.

what you're describing is not the ECU update - it's just an update to the Ride Command software. I have the same thing on my bike and yet I can tune using the PV3 (did it for the tune for my Toce recently).
the ride command update and ECU updates are two very very different things.
Your dealer is likely confusing them.
If you have a PV3, you can look at your files to see what version of the ECU you have.