MotoGP

FTR London

that makes zero sense.
It really doesn't seem to does it?

The directive has clearly come from the top. Sports bikes sales (which Suzuki are synonymous with) are nosediving and the factories go racing to sell their products. No doubt they'll concentrate upon and orient the business toward ATVs, compact cars and outboard motors.

They did this before at the end of the 2011 season citing the need to reduce costs due to the global economic downturn, but three seasons later returned much stronger - this time, I don't think they'll be back any time soon. I suspect that the justification is the same although you would have expected there to have been a statement by now. They have remained silent, which would not have happened if this wasn't true. It makes you wonder if anyone in the race team actually knew, particularly given their recent statements about supporting the future of Rins. I suspect not and that this was a very closely guarded secret in Hamamatsu until the decision was made to pull the plug on the race effort.

Like Kawasaki, the race budget in Moto GP was never huge. There used to be a standing joke in the paddock that you could fit most of the team into a small hire car and if it ever crashed en-route to the circuit the entire race development division would be wiped out. What they achieved with Sheene, Lucchinelli, Uncini, Schwantz, Roberts Jnr. and Mir was wonderful, each championship season with its own inimitable story and memorable circumstances. and I'll always be reminded of such luminaries in the team as Stuart Shenton and Gary Roberts.

I suspect that Mir will inherit Pol's ride, Rins possibly to Aprilia or Yamaha? Both would be very well suited to the M1. At least this puts paid to the Quatararo to Suzuki gossip.

It's a great shame and I only hope that market forces don't dictate that other manufacturers such as Aprilia and KTM don't follow suit.

edgelett

From what I can gather, it seems they didn't get enough additional sponsors after taking the championship in 2020 as they expected they would get. the pandemic was the reason for this, but the result is they're pulling out of racing despite having a contract until 2026 with Dorna.
I agree it's a huge shame, i like to see underdog teams like Suzuki, KTM and Aprilia doing well over the big teams like Honda, Yamaha and Ducati.

FTR London

You would have thought that following the Moto 2 calamity at Portimao there would have been a bit more urgency over the red flag in Moto 3 today. Rain at Le Mans? Surely not. One thing we do know about the Bugati circuit is that it dries quickly meaning we were treated to another great race. What a last lap. Brilliant ride from Sasaki - too polite, not ruthless enough - leading in the penultimate corner after an incredible move and left the door wide open for Masia. I'm sure Max Biaggi will have some sage words about that. Fogia misses out on a podium - well deserved win for Masia.

Moto 2 unexpectedly dry - 27°C ambient. The off-camber La Chapelle claims another victim though. Acosta, nailed on for the win crashes out of the lead leaving Fernandez leading the race over Canet by over 6 seconds. Chantra does Beaubier on the last lap to deny him a podium, but still the highest placed result for the American.

Frenetic first few laps of MotoGP. Fuck's sake - Rins!!...that could have been so nasty. He had the pace to win this, but then that's the story of his career. Crashed out in exactly the same place as last year. Both Suzukis out, such a shame after the recent news.

That pass on Jack by Bastianini for second was quality.

No way Martin rides that factory bike next year. Three consecutive crashes - whilst three wins for Bastianini. Factory contract will be contested by Bastianini and Jack.

Incredible - Pecco. Cannot believe that. Completely done by Enea. That should have been a Ducati 1-2-3 with the glorious Mugello next up. Another great ride from Aleix btw...parked it in the final corner - exactly what Sasaki should have done. Really difficult for Fabio after the start cost him.

Honda have completely lost direction. They had to react in the absence of Marc, but now they are so at sea that even Márquez can't ride it unless the track temperature is cool and lower grip. I got this completely wrong pre-season - all the evidence suggested that the 22 RCV was a real weapon.

Matt Oxley's exclusive on tyre pressures was interesting. Looks as though teams have indeed been breaching the regulations.

edgelett

Was watching in between Eurovision (delayed telecast here due to timezones), good race! Miller taking 2nd means he's now 5th in the championship. I wasn't sure how the soft front would go for him, but even if Pecco had stayed on he would have finished ahead of him which is good.

Great ride from The Beast though, he's on fire. Only 8 points separate the top 3 in the championship now.

honda might as well go home.

FTR London

Mugello! - together with Phillip Island the highlight of the GP racing calendar and two of, if not the, greatest circuits on the planet.

FTR London

Rossi's retirement, cost of living crisis and exorbitant ticket prices (€160 just to sit on the grass banking, starting at €400 for the grandstands) appears to have butchered attendance at 'Mug- yellow' this year. It's like a clubby meeting. Such a shame.

Moto 3 - Also a shame that Sasakii was injured for this, really warming to him. Lap 11!!! What the hell? Oncu was looking strong until the slightest nudge by Suzuki at Correntaio - then race leader Fogia, simply touched the white line, immediately followed by Tatay then McPhee and Holgado. What a finish - classic Mugello. Congratulations to Suzuki on his first podium, particularly following the long lap penalty. Guevara demoted on last lap handing win to his teammate Garcia.

Moto 2 - The ever entertaining Mattia Pasini made a wild card appearance for this one. Teammate Jake Dixon had access to his data and was saying Pasini's using 10% more lean angle at some points of the circuit! All opting for the super-soft rear Dunlop.

Canet crashed out trail braking at Bucine battling with Acosta - gap to the front too great to bridge for Roberts and Agora. Had to wait an uncommonly long time for Lowes to bin it - three laps from the end. Shit move from his teammate - long lap penalty seemed too lenient. No idea what Vietti's mechanical was. Very strong ride from Acosta, great to see Roberts back on the podium. Astonishingly, Arbolino nicked fourth on the line from Fernandez.

Great to see Max Biaggi given a few laps on the Chesterfield RS250. So weird hearing a two stroke out there. Great memories.

Moto GP - Lower track temperatures meant mainly a mix between the soft and medium rear, hard option a real gamble. Mr. Consistent, Mir crashed out for the second race in a row. Very uncharacteristic. Then immediately followed by Rins - not so much of a surprise. Both Suzukis again.

Hilarious watching the antics of Marini and Bezzecchi (rookie on a year old bike) duelling with Quartarao in San Donato. Shame that the VR46 bikes couldn't hold out for the podium, particularly with the number bing officially retired this weekend. Bastianini lurked in the background and definitely had the pace but disappointedly low sided at Materassi.

A controlled and confident performance by Pecco once he battled through to the front. The relief on the faces of Dall'igna and Ciabatti :D. Strange race for Miller though - 17 seconds behind his teammate.

Yet another great ride from Quarteraro and nice to see him flying a flag on the out lap in memory of his deceased friend, Jason Dupasquier. If Yamaha had managed to give Fabio that incremental power increase that he had asked for at the end of last season, this entire paddock would have been in serious trouble. Yamaha should surely be looking at poaching some knowledge from the soon to be defunct Suzuki racing team to understand how to better exploit that in line 4 engine. Tom O'Kane will be a free agent?

Aleix - on the podium again!

Márquez - last roll of the dice. Flies to America on Tuesday, in the bid that the Mayo clinic can finally sort the injury. Effectively, what he's managed to do is beat some of the best riders on the planet with one arm. If this can be resolved I'm certain that he still has more world championships in him. I think we'll see him back for the race and post season test at Valencia.

edgelett

Sadly the weather here is so bad I have no cable TV and insanely slow internet so I was only able to watch about 12 laps. The ones I saw had some good battles.
no idea what happened to Miller, he started 12th I think but ended up near the back. weird.

4 podiums in a row for Aleix is good.

Sadly the weather here is so bad I have no cable TV and insanely slow internet so I was only able to watch about 12 laps. The ones I saw had some good battles.
no idea what happened to Miller, he started 12th I think but ended up near the back. weird.

4 podiums in a row for Aleix is good.
Miller got pushed out on to the grass going through the kink on the front straight at the start

FTR London

Foggia - disastrous. Who'd have predicted that he's score zero points at both Mugello and Catalunya, circuits that favour a fast motorcycle? Looked like a broken chain. Nasty crash involving Yamanaka, Salvador and the hapless Holgado. Well played by Guevara - brilliantly judged ride. Great battle for final podium positions, David Muñoz from 20th on the grid takes it on the line from Suzuki.

Joe Roberts - 2.4 second lead, lost the front trail braking into the apex. Really feel for him, but it blew it wide open and blessed us with the best Moto2 race of the season so far. Great battle between Vietti and Canet. Pissed that Fenandez nicked that last podium spot from Dixon. Race done at turn 10. Even post alterations following the tragic loss of Luis Salom at turn 12 makes you appreciate that move from Rossi over Lorenzo in 2009 even more. Lowes...what can you say?

Rear tyre management was everything today in MotoGP and in these extreme track temperatures, mechanical grip and mapping strategy so important...factory M1 territory. Pretty sure, that's Pecco's title hopes done now. Fairly sure he would have taken 20 points at least - would certainly have gone with Quartararo. All that work he put in this weekend. Nakagami in too hot - the impact with the rear of the Ducati was horrific. Rins out again - after branding Nakagami as "one of the most dangerous riders". I do hope Taka is ok, that was horrendous. At the time of writing this, LCR have said that no serious head injuries have been detected. So much for Bradl, out there to gather data and crashed on the first lap. Bastianini out again - closely followed by Digi. The initial advantages of the '21 satellite machines having all the base settings begins to diminish as the factory bikes start getting new parts and the riders are forced to push harder.

Again, Quartararo, Lorenzo-esque - flawless and what an incredible start. Six second gap...plan A effected. Out front from the start, keep the front cool, mange the rear. Knew exactly what he needed to do. Really wanted the local lad Aleix to win this....thought the race was over with a lap to go!!?? - what a gift for Fabio - an extra nine points. I remember Julián Simón doing this in 125. Max Biaggi's face! Was this a team mistake on the pit board or did he miss it? What a colossal fuck up. Poor lad was sobbing his eyes out in his box. Even Carmelo in there consoling him. Oh well, good to see Martin finally bring it home.

What the hell is going on with Morbidelli?

Miller to KTM then! - Olivera to replace Bastianini. Rumours of Pol back to KTM or possibly LCR.

Too much rubber being needlessly wasted. Will be only two tyre options from next season.

edgelett

Really wanted the local lad Aleix to win this....thought the race was over with a lap to go!!?? - what a gift for Fabio - an extra nine points. I remember Julián Simón doing this in 125. Max Biaggi's face! Was this a team mistake on the pit board or did he miss it? What a colossal fuck up. Poor lad was sobbing his eyes out in his box. Even Carmelo in there consoling him. Oh well, good to see Martin finally bring it home.
Apparently at Catalunya, when the lead rider passes the control line at the start of the last lap it changes the lap counter to '0 laps'. it could be that Aleix thought that meant the race was done.
poor guy I felt so sorry for him. those points could prove crucial to the championship.

that crash with Taka was nuts, introducing your face to someone's rear tyre is going to leave one hell of a headache. Felt for Pecco, and Rins looked in a LOT of pain.
Not sure what happened to Miller - went backwards at the start (again) then recovered a bit.
Was great to see Remy Gardner get such a good position. Yes lots crashed out, but he passed Morbidelli and stayed on the bike which is more than others did. a well deserved result.

FTR London

Apparently at Catalunya, when the lead rider passes the control line at the start of the last lap it changes the lap counter to '0 laps'. it could be that Aleix thought that meant the race was done.
poor guy I felt so sorry for him. those points could prove crucial to the championship.
Michael Laverty was alluding to this on the BT Sport coverage. I think you're spot on, that's exactly what happened.

KRJnr did something similar at Estoril 2006.

edgelett

well - I'd say that's Pecco's chances of a championship this year gone. looks like he lost the rear, maybe going a little hard on coldish tyres and he was out.
the way he stood there staring at the bike like it was going to say 'i'm sorry' was kind of funny. I feel for him though.
Brilliant ride by Fabulous once again, great to see Zarco and Miller on the podium especially as Miller had to take a long lap penalty.
Aleix is Fabio's closest contender points wise but will be hard for him to catch him at this stage unless Fabio has a couple of DNFs.