MotoGP

FTR London

LOTS of crashes this week. most bummed about Miller of cours.

but wow what an awesome few last laps from Pecco and the Beast!!!
It was brilliant wasn't it. No love lost between them and as future teammates will be very entertaining. I want Pecco to continue to fight back and bring this down to the wire, but I would have also liked to have seen Bastianini bring that Fausto Gresini livery into P.1 Parc fermé.

Everyone opted for the medium rear and hard front I think. Hard front due to the hard braking zones. Four riders were toying with the notion of running the soft rear, which you can because Misano isn't particularly cruel to tyres, but in the end went with the rest of the grid. That's the great thing about Misano, it isn't a tyre circuit, so you can go pretty much balls out from the off because of that. Well almost - takes a few laps to get the hard front up to temperature and as we witnessed in Moto 2 in particular, a lot of early lowsides through trail braking - including Miller. I think seven riders were down in the first two laps - although three went in the turn 1 incident.

That result won't have done Viñales any harm whatsoever given that this is Aprilia's home race. Had good race pace all weekend.

Shout out to the mercurial Alonso López in Moto 2, who continues in his Lazarus like comeback having been written off in this paddock.

Watching on BT Sport, they had Frankie Chili in a trackside interview. Didn't recognise him at all, perhaps due to his Parkinson's disease. Very sad.

FTR London

Good Lord! Well that blows everything wide open. This could really come down to the wire now - hopefully championship decider at Valencia like 2006 and 2015. Thank goodness Fabio was ok - but ominously holding his wrist en-route to Clinica Mobile. Turned out he was fine, but had ben involved in a head on scooter collision with a marshal when riding back to the pits after the accident. Complete racing incident and the collision with Nakagami was equally as unfortunate. Fortunately, no other crashes in the race. Fabio had good pace and traction, would have certainly bagged a good points haul had it not been for the incident with Marc.

At one point, after three consecutive DNFs Pecco was 91 points behind Quartararo. Now down to ten with four races to go.

Aragon, diametrically the opposite of Misano. Lots of overtaking opportunities but a strategy 'velodrome' control race - which Pecco is tends to manage well, but Enea is a master of tyre conservation - his weight certainly helps -and very fast throughout the weekend. Loved the way that he tested Pecco's mettle early. He remembers what happened between the two of them in Le Mans - but this time, he succumbed to the pressure. Even with the mistake, his race pace made the difference and he knew he had the tyre to go for it after five laps. 1:48 pace set by Pecco, I thought he may have had half a second in the locker. Like Dovi, very calculated, measured and a superb defensive rider - and reminds me of Rossi in the way he modifies his style as the race evolves and demands. Bastianini throws everything at it nothing to lose. You could see the dress rehearsals for the final complex on the last lap - or so I thought. Great surprise move at turn 7 from the beast, not risky and very clean...played a blinder, fooled us all. Not an easy pass that nonetheless. Last race 300th of a second between them, today 400th of a second at the finish line! Imagine this happening in F1!

Pleased to see that they haven't instituted team orders..but Davide Tardozzi did mention before the race he doesn't want to invite another Argentina 2018.

Those Ducatis have evolved so much. The electronics are in perfect harmony with the bike and tyre, the fastest bike in a straight line and has the best ride height adjustment on the grid. Unsurprisingly, constructors championship sealed.

Good to see Cal-amity Crashloads back and bringing it home in 14th and Aleix in third with a broken finger - sixth podium of the year and only 17 points behind the leader. Nothing but respect for him this year, such a shame what happened at Catalunya.

Remy off to WSB then. Every right to feel aggrieved - like last year, KTM have hardly covered themselves with glory. Pleased for Binder though, but robbed of a podium on the last lap.

Spotted Manuel Poggiali down at Parc Ferme in Enea's crew - had no idea he was part of the fold.

48 points covers the top four. Motegi will be a wet race - guaranteed. Won't favour Bastianini, may well benefit Fabio.

edgelett

yeah that was nuts. No-one's fault (unless you call going too hard on the opening lap on cold tyres being at fault), I'm glad both Fabio and Taka weren't badly hurt. Could see how big the impact was when Fabio was wandering off to the pit with his leathers open and you could see how red his skin was.

Miller did well to hold on to 5th, I thought he was going to get swamped.
Remy just outside the points where as his teammate is last. Still boggles my mind that Fernandez kept a seat in MotoGP but Remy didn't. Aussies do well in WSB though so he should do a great job.
Glad to see Cal stay on the bike to the end too.

Although no team orders I'm surprised The Beast didn't just let Fabio win since they'll be teammates next year - but I'm also GLAD he didnt'. was a great battle.

going to be a nail biting finish to the year!

FTR London

Biaggi claims he knew nothing about it. Sure lol.
🤣 My immediate thought too. The part where he says “I was there; it was something that shouldn’t have happened and something far from the ethics of this sport and this team”.

Damn right it was something that shouldn't have happened under your watch as team boss. He claimed he didn't notice because it happened quickly, which is possible, but the other way around, such behaviour would never come from a member of Poncharal's crew.

You always need a pantomime villain and we've seen plenty in this sport, with Max always happy to play the part. We don't need an entire cast of them under the guise of a race team.

edgelett

A thriller from Miller!!! what a ride, well deserves win.
Honestly surprised MM did as well as he did. he might prove me wrong and get a win before the end of the year.

bummer for Pecco, hopefully it's still a tight championship for another race or two.

FTR London

Good to be back in Japan after three years. I do still miss Suzuka though. The weather caused practice to be truncated which always throws a spanner in the works, added to which, there are riders that have never visited or raced at this circuit.

The Moto 3 race was a warning indicating a very slick surface following the passage of the typhoon. Guevara's fifth victory of the season - relentless pace, nothing Foggia could do to match it. Great dice for fourth.

Canet - nailed on if ever his first win in Moto 2 was coming, it was today. +1.7" after three laps. Pressed too hard and caught out in the slippery turn 9, unforced error - almost as though he tried to win it too early on...again. Guess we'll never learn what the wooden dickie bow is all about then. Chantra struggled on the medium tyre, disappointedly faded. Great initial duel between two of my favourite riders in this class López and Ogura. Fascinating to see the different styles between them and the characteristics of the Boscoscuro and Kalex chassis beneath them. Imperious quality ride from Ai after qualifying 13th on the grid - home race in front of the top HRC brass and the boss of Idemitsu. Great result for Jake in fourth - really wasn't expecting anything from this.

At Motegi, such a hard braking circuit there's only one option for the front in Moto GP. I noticed that the rear threw up an interesting mix though. Both factory Ducatis opted for the hard rear. Fabio medium, Bastianini was able to maintain good pace and rhythm on the soft throughout the 15 laps of morning warm up so chose it for the race. Was a gamble, given the higher temperatures but if anyone could maximise its benefit, it was the Beast. In the event, the championship ran between them at 10th and 8th. A stop-start circuit not suited to the M1, but Fabio is always fast here, from memory won in Moto 2. Rode so aggressively. What a move at turn 12 from Pecco on Bastianini allowing him to line up Quartararo with three and a half laps to go. Made his move on the last lap - so lucky not to take out Fabio. Had to go for it but lost the front opening the gap to 18 points. That could well be it now. You can't really expect to win the MotoGP title with five DNFs! This group ten seconds down on Miller.

Aleix's misfortune was unbelievable - particularly since Aprilia have sorted the straight line braking stability. The second bike was shod with the soft rear when he had opted for the medium. Would unquestionably have been right up at the front with the pace he was running this weekend had it not been for the electronic failure.

Miller in another race. Running consistently in the '45s. Prior to the race, Jack said he needed to earn some bonus money since he's getting married to Ruby in a few weeks. Hadn't won a race since Le Mans a year and a half ago. Very, very happy for him. "I can ride a motorcycle sometimes" :LOL:

Great result for Binder equalling his best of the year. Lovely move on Martin to take second.

Unbelievable from Marc managing to maintain 4th at such a physical circuit.

edgelett

the rain always makes racing extra exciting!! brilliant win by Olivera, great to see Miller in 2nd and Pecco has now slashed the championship lead to bits.
I was actually expecting Marquez to be on the podium for this one but he might not be quite fit enough to last the distance at the front.

Philip Island is next, can't wait.

Helge

Difficult conditions on these race day.
The next races will be a thriller :cool: can´t wait too.

mark.lb

I especially enjoyed watching the late charge of Johann Zarco. Amazing riding and lap times in wet conditions. I was sure he was going to get by Francesco Bagnaia and get a podium finish. He nearly got it done…

Last edited:

edgelett

I especially enjoyed watching the late charge of Johann Zarco. Amazing riding and lap times in wet conditions. I was sure he was going to get by Francesco Bagnaia and get a podium finish. He nearly got it done…
I suspect he was doing what he could to help out the Ducati that was sitting highest in the championship...

FTR London

I was actually expecting Marquez to be on the podium for this one
I was actually expecting him to torpedo Pecco.

I especially enjoyed watching the late charge of Johann Zarco. Amazing riding and lap times in wet conditions. I was sure he was going to get by Francesco Bagnaia

I was sure he was going to torpedo Pecco if Marquez didn't. Thankfully I was wrong about both.

I suspect he was doing what he could to help out the Ducati that was sitting highest in the championship...

The narrow drying line, increased the risk of contact if Zarco tried to pass Pecco. You could see him weighing it up, but I think conscious of Dall’Igna's pre-race caveat that a win in fine, but denying a Bagnaia a podium place as a title protagonist would not be clever. I'm certain he had the pace to win it, but that he may well have crashed trying given the tricky conditions. Pecco thanked him for not taking the risk. Had the track dried earlier, it would have allowed for a safe pass and with Miller and Oliveira in his crosshairs, I'm sure we would have been witnessing his first post-race backflip in the premier class. If he had overtaken Bagnaia for third, the difference at the top of the championship would be five points instead of two - so possibly a good career move if he stays at Ducati.

Greatest motorcycle racing circuit on planet earth. It will be so good to be back.

edgelett

The narrow drying line, increased the risk of contact if Zarco tried to pass Pecco. You could see him weighing it up, but I think conscious of Dall’Igna's pre-race caveat that a win in fine, but denying a Bagnaia a podium place as a title protagonist would not be clever. I'm certain he had the pace to win it, but that he may well have crashed trying given the tricky conditions. Pecco thanked him for not taking the risk. Had the track dried earlier, it would have allowed for a safe pass and with Miller and Oliveira in his crosshairs, I'm sure we would have been witnessing his first post-race backflip in the premier class. If he had overtaken Bagnaia for third, the difference at the top of the championship would be five points instead of two - so possibly a good career move if he stays at Ducati.
as I suspected - team orders.

https://www.autosport.com/motogp/ne...-battling-motogp-title-hope-bagnaia/10378174/

FTR London

Kind of.

"Ducati has instructed all of its riders to not fight Bagnaia too hard for positions that were not victories or podiums."

Like I said, pretty much what he was told by Gigi pre-race.

Zarco:

“The track really dried out on the last five laps, the last four laps, and it was too late to think about winning. But still... The sooner I manage to pass Pecco, maybe I can try something and get away from [Miguel] Oliveira."

“But as there was really only one line and when we got away the bike slipped, well it was still complicated. Two laps passed, and two laps before the end we saw that the victory was not there."

So had it had dried sooner, he would have certainly gone for it.

FTR London

Phil Read passed away last week. Double consecutive world champion winning the premier class in 73 and 74 and seven times world champion being the first to win 125, 250 and 500cc titles in addition to the 250 championship. Never the most popular figure in the paddock, he will nonetheless be remembered as a legend of the sport.

Sadly - and unrelated to Moto GP - Chrissy Rouse died after an accident at Goddards in last Sunday's Donington Park BSB race after being struck on the head by another rider. He had been placed in an induced coma, but didn't make it. Was a real natural talent on the ascendancy and so young. Reminded me of the late Craig Jones in terms of both his talent and tragically, the manner of his death.

FTR London

After three years away, so good to see GP finally back at this wonderful circuit again.

Moto 3: Congratulations to Izan Guevara. Only 18 yrs old and a very bright future ahead.

Moto 2: We knew that this circuit would favour the Boscoscuro/Speed Up package, but Alonso López was in another race today - Aldeguer not able to exploit it though. Nasty off for Arbolino - no slow crashes at Hayshed. Damage limitation for Ogura - more of a stop/go rider, not really suited to the flowing nature of the Island. ...but! - Fernández threw away third and the championship lead at the Southern Loop. This also promoted Jake Dixon to a podium place. Not a crasher Augusto, perhaps it was the pressure? Only consolation for him is that it wasn't much of a points haul for Ogura in 11th, but he'll be much stronger in Malaysia and goes in with a 3.5 point lead. Looks like this championship may go down to Valencia.

GP: Jesus! Classic PI. This is why everyone loves this place. What a race! Marc on his trusty hard front on a left hand circuit - plus, a soft rear, most of the riders opted for the hard - so we knew he'd be spectacular. Pecco benefiting massively from Casey Stoner in his corner - was always going to be hard to pass. Played it safe and opted for the points. Notice how strong Marc was on the brakes though. Rear squirming around in protest - at 110%. Fair to say he's back and was testing on Friday for next year. Rins had been rehearsing that move at turn 2 and sizing up Pecco for six laps. Bided his time and went for it on the last lap. Suzuki extracting every last pony out of that engine before they leave the series and Rins exploiting every strength of that bike. Just like Qatar, it really held its own against the Ducatis on the straight. Unlike Qatar, with only two races remaining, they don't have to wind it in. Good to see Chris Vermeulen down with the Suzuki garage this weekend.

As much as I love Jackass, 'the Miller hairpin' - really? As ridiculous as naming a corner at Valencia after Nicolás Terol - only he at least had a championship to his name. Well that's Jack's small hope gone for this year. You name a corner after a rider has retired. Talk about tempting fate. That said, fucking appalling move from Álex Márquez. Same thing happened to Lorenzo when they named a corner after him in Jerez.

Looked to me like Fabio was nerfed by Mir into Honda corner which put him out of the points in then an almost identical accident to Fernández at turn 2. Awful day for Yamaha with Morbidelli crashing out too. Great job from Cal in 13th. Espargaró pretty much out of the championship. Great ride form Bezzecchi too.

Move of the race - Lap 19, Martin on Márquez through Hayshed. That took balls.

Pecco on 233, leads by 14 points, two races to go.

The Island is back! Race of the season. Brilliant. I love this place.

edgelett

I was actually expecting Marquez to be on the podium for this one but he might not be quite fit enough to last the distance at the front.

I guess he's fit enough now! good to see him fighting hard & getting a well deserved podium.
the Island is one of the best tracks in the world and Sunday's race was no exception, it was like watching a Moto2 race the whole time the racing was that hard.

That move by Alex Marquez was fucked and ruined Jack's race. He was actually in with a title chance until then. But it was good to see AM apologise afterwards and the two shake hands.
Great to see Cal getting good results.
And with Pecco getting 3rd, the championship is down to the last 2 races which is awesome.

That ride by Rins though - wow. unbelievable, he came from a long way back to win it and rode like hell.

as for naming a corner after Jack Miller - I don't have an issue with it. He's a likeable guy, lots of Aussies likes him a LOT more than Casey Stoner just because he has a great personality.
Bayliss corner would have been better but MotoGP riders get more recognition that Superbike riders sadly.

FTR London

as for naming a corner after Jack Miller - I don't have an issue with it. He's a likeable guy, lots of Aussies likes him a LOT more than Casey Stoner just because he has a great personality.
Yeah, you can't help but like the bloke, but having a 'great personality' doesn't warrant a corner named after you :D. Jack himself, playing it down, acknowledged that "he's definitely not worthy". He only has one more win in the premier class than McCoy who was on a far inferior ride and Daryl Beattie who had 59 starts vs Miller's 135. I don't have an issue with it either, I just think it's utterly bizarre. If Gobert wasn't such a knob, then there'd be likely a statue of him in the paddock following his godlike legendary ride on that Bimota SB8R way back when. Anyway, there's justifiably a 'Doohan's' 'Stoner's' and the 'Gardner Straight' - and that's impossible to argue with.

Bayliss corner would have been better but MotoGP riders get more recognition that Superbike riders sadly.

Wouldn't it just. Predictably, we have a Foggy's and deservedly, a Hislop's at Oulton. I always felt that after being dropped by Ducati, Bayliss had the last laugh when he demolished the field at Valencia in 2006 having been rewarded with a wild card ride following his second WSB title for the factory. Makes you wonder what he could have accomplished on what was a very competitive bike that year. Had it not been for the first corner incident at Catalunya, it's highly probable that Capirossi would have won the title instead of Nicky.

FTR London

Found this great picture of the King, Cecotto, Sheene, Pons and what looks very much like Graziano Rossi in the background. Probably circa 1979.

849b72cf3f01cacd77a667ea17e77294-1.jpg

edgelett

wow what a race!
I thought for sure the Beast and Pecco were going to take each other out about 6 times.
Championship to be decided in Valencia in 2 weeks - Pecco just has to finish at least 13th or higher and he is champion. For Fabio to be champion, he has to win and Pecco has to finish 14th or worse.

Great recovery from Jack Miller, he dropped all the way down to 21st then came back through to finish 6th.
Marquez still struggling with tracks that include more right handers, and obviously 2 weeks in a row probably took a toll too. He'll do better at Valencia.