Need some input here

mark.lb

a) Ferraiolo1 - I consider all three components - the intake (including electronics), internals and the exhaust system as “the engine”.
b) K9F - I was not specifically talking about the Indian FTR. I said, “Engineers who design engines” meaning engines for modern street vehicles (passenger cars and motorcycles), know the exhaust system must include a catalytic converter to be sold to the masses. They design them for as optimal performance as possible knowing they must have a converter.
c) My last statement is absolutely true.
Unless you are willing to spend the time and money for someone with expertise to re-engineer your engine (tune it) after you remove the catalytic converter then I suggest you just leave it alone!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
sorry, but, Re-engineering the engine doesnt mean (tune it). The internals of the engine have nothing to do with it.

But yes a simple tune fixes the odd running issues once the cat is removed, only takes some money and 5min of your time :)

mark.lb

Do you consider (Ryan) from Lloyd’s an engineer? I do. Not sure what his degree or education is - but he is certainty a skilled technician with a wealth of knowledge and expertise. He is the one who used his advanced computer skills to modify the code Indian engineers placed inside the the ECU that controls your engine. I‘m sure it took him a lot of time and money to develop a product to sell that allows you to remove your catalytic converter and get better performance out of you FTR. You are correct - when “you” connect a PV3 to your bike to (Tune It) you personally did not re-engineer your engine but someone else certainly did.

I think we are splitting hairs at this point...You have one bad ass FTR. I alway look forward to seeing what you will do to it next!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
A tune IS NOT re engineering your engine. All you’re doing You’re altering the tune. Similar to When you install a new program on your computer you’re not re engineering the computer, just changing the software.

re engineering your engine means a hardware change.

mark.lb

One last attempt, then I am going riding. When Takuma Sato and Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing
won the Indianapolis 500 last year. Who deserves more credit. The software engineer who developed the program that controls the intake or the mechanical engineer who developed the cams, values and crankshaft?

Pmcb41

The fact is we live in. A world where all things must be taken into consideration. In downtown Chicago you can walk down Michigan avenue without gagging because engineers design cars to meet emission standards compared to the 1970’s, but we waste more fuel because those same standards put some limits on engine efficiency. I could give examples but that would just spur arguments. I use my motorcycle as a daily driver, in doing so I save fuel, reduce emissions, cause less damage to the road surface, and turn a task (getting from here to there) into something enjoyable. I tinker with my bike because its fun.

Max Kool

We’re actually talking two things here imho.

1. the shape and design of the resonator under the swingarm. It does a good job giving good performance while quieting the bike down. Better than a link pipe.

2. the fact that there is a cat in the resonator. It’s actually so big it can hardly be an obstruction to the gas flow.

B1B69E40-2056-452E-B434-86E415F002C0.jpeg

Timps27

My desire for a better environment, and my desire for loud internal combustion engines are always in conflict. I want a world that has moved beyond internal combustion, but I don’t think I want to be a part of it!

Indian91

I have a theory:
The engineers who design engines know the exhaust system must also have a catalytic converter attached. So they design the engine to preform optimally with a catalytic converter built into the exhaust system.
When we remove the catalytic converter because “we don’t like the sound it makes” we have actually re-engineered the engine. Unless we make some further adjustments to the engine design it will no longer run optimally. Unless you are willing to spend the time and money for someone with expertise to re-engineer your engine after you remove the catalytic converter then I suggest you just leave it alone!
After all upgrades are done ecu is going to Ryan's to be reprogrammed

R. Warshawsky

My desire for a better environment, and my desire for loud internal combustion engines are always in conflict. I want a world that has moved beyond internal combustion, but I don’t think I want to be a part of it!
I dunno, my wife has an electic vehicle (base model Tesla 3) and we took a long road trip last weekend. Easy to find charging stations her in the People's Republic and the preformance of the car is phenomenal. Hard to believe the acceleration of it, assuming I actually did do that...

Indian91

I still cant pick a damn exahust lol so many good options. I did notice (correct me if im wrong) that the bassani low mount gets rid of the catalytic converter just in its own design? Don't have to go and buy another section of piping to do it?