Side stand too long

D

Deleted member 706

Another advantage of the "shortened" sidestand is it makes it closer to the front of the bike and easier to reach.
Yep that's a good point, a bloody good one at the that.
Time for a bit more thinking...

K9F

2022 Side-stand part number 1025611-458 is a straight 10 minute swap out. As the powder-coating on my old stand was shot and flaking on the new one I made a punched out round rubber stop from a car exhaust strap to appease my OCD and prevent damage to the stand whilst in use. Naturally it leans considerably more but no more than my other much heavier bike. With all the regular bike meets I go to which are quite crowded I was constantly worried someone would brush past the bike and accidentally knock it over which wouldn't have taken much at all, worry now totally gone! For an older knacker like me with dodgy knees it is a damn sight easier getting on and off too.

IMG_1903.jpg
A point to note here perhaps, it is only the heel of the stand that appears to make contact with the ground?

2019 Stand.

IMG_1905.jpg

2022 Stand.

IMG_1899.jpg

Last edited:

Charliemurphay

2022 Side-stand part number 1025611-458 is a straight 10 minute swap out. As the powder-coating on my old stand was shot and flaking on the new one I made a punched out round rubber stop from a car exhaust strap to appease my OCD and prevent damage to the stand whilst in use. Naturally it leans considerably more but no more than my other much heavier bike. With all the regular bike meets I go to which are quite crowded I was constantly worried someone would brush past the bike and accidentally knock it over which wouldn't have taken much at all, worry now totally gone! For an older knacker like me with dodgy knees it is a damn sight easier getting on and off too.

View attachment 4176
A point to note here perhaps, it is only the heel of the stand that appears to make contact with the ground?

2019 Stand.

View attachment 4177

2022 Stand.

View attachment 4171
Got any pics of it on the bike? This is a swap I’ve been contemplating myself, and I’d like to see the lean angle.

K9F

No worries Charlie, Did pop it off the paddock stand to see the angle but it started raining. Am happy with the angle but as stated glued a rubber stop on the bottom which is now drying, the bike is currently back on the paddock stand in the garage and it's raining cats and dogs. Will try to get some pictures tomorrow with the bike in exactly the same spot. Took some 'before' pictures to compare with 'after' photos prior to it raining though.

Before:

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

nnm505

I have the 2022 model side stand but a mechanic told me it wouldn't fit.
The only difference I notice is the length.
Maybe the mechanic's info wasn't correct.

Timps27

Yeah, I don’t trust a thing the mechanics say (most of them), one Indian shop in MN told me nothing for a 2022 will fit a 2019…

Keles

No worries Charlie, Did pop it off the paddock stand to see the angle but it started raining. Am happy with the angle but as stated glued a rubber stop on the bottom which is now drying, the bike is currently back on the paddock stand in the garage and it's raining cats and dogs. Will try to get some pictures tomorrow with the bike in exactly the same spot. Took some 'before' pictures to compare with 'after' photos prior to it raining though.

Before:

View attachment 4180

View attachment 4181
please take a picture afterwards, you have before. please both pictures from behind. does the 2022 fit the 2020 FTR model?

nnm505

I just installed the shorter side stand. But there is another difference between the longer and the shorter side stand: The longer
one has some sort of a fitting the holds the unfolded stand in the correct position; the shorter one doesn't have that and it moves way to much forward.
Anyone else noticed that?

K9F

I just installed the shorter side stand. But there is another difference between the longer and the shorter side stand: The longer
one has some sort of a fitting the holds the unfolded stand in the correct position; the shorter one doesn't have that and it moves way to much forward.

Not at all! Your mechanic/tech was wrong in his assumptions that the stop is different and it wouldn't fit, also I suspect you have a defect in your stand or wrong stand completely? It was only a few days ago you were talking about taking an inch out of your 2019 stand? I waited four months for this stand to arrive from ordering as they were on back-order.

Maybe I should send my resume to Mythbusters? :ROFLMAO:

The position is exactly the same and for clarity I went out and took a couple of photos.

Below is a picture of my 2022 stand fitted to my 2019 FTR. The stand is positioned at 'half travel.'

The red arrow depicts the fixed stop onto which the stand butts to at full extension.
The yellow arrow depicts the travelling stand edge that butts up against the stop at full extension. NOTE: At full extension the 2022 side stand is in exactly the same position and angle the 2019 stand was at. The micro-switch works perfectly as well.

IMG_1916.jpg

Full extension.

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

Top tip. If swapping out the stand do not try to unhook the retention spring as a first step. Simply remove the bolt first, when fitting hook the spring up first then fit the bolt. The task is much easier and safer using this method.

Last edited:

K9F

Still raining here but hope to get it out of my tiny garage to take photos of it on the stand later. I waited months for it to arrive, not the rain unfortunately but the 2022 stand!

:ROFLMAO:

edgelett

you mean the 2022 stand?

K9F

To put this to bed once and for all, took the bike out between rain showers and took the photos.

2019 FTR 2019 Sidestand.

IMG_1902.jpg

2019 FTR 2022 Sidestand.

IMG_1929.jpg

2019 FTR 2019 Sidestand.

IMG_1901.jpg

2019 FTR 2022 Sidestand.

IMG_1927.jpg

Your bike your choice.

Ditched the rubber protector as the bu993r wouldn't stay on.

IMG_1931.jpg

Last edited:

nnm505

Finally a welder added a little piece of metal to the 2022 side stand as stop and now it works just fine.
Another welder refused to cut and weld the original 2019 side stand. He refused to take responsibility in case of breakage.