The running thread for off topic discussions

mark.lb

Riding is helping me cope with this virus situation. I am one of those people with an underlying medical condition. Systolic heart failure controlled with medication and a pacemaker. I have been staying at home for the past couple of weeks. I have not gone to a store or any public gatherings place. We have curtailed visits with our children and grandchildren. I walk my dogs in the neighborhood every day with my wife and I ride my motorcycles when the weather allows. Taking a ride has given my life some semblance of normalcy during this unusual time. Everyone on the forum - Stay Safe and enjoy a ride!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
There have been people I know pulled over in pa for riding motorcycles. Since they generally aren’t used for “essential travel”

unless you’re going to work or a life sustaining errand, bike stays parked.

EllenGtrGrl

LOL!
That's just a conspiracy theory.
this virus IS something that people need to be scared of. it's not a joke.

Yep, and I've had it up to here with conspiracy theories. I have to deal that stuff from a friend of mine, who lives in California, who I chat with every Friday night on the phone. Alex Jones is like her patron saint (and as a result, I have to put up with diatribes about things like the Deep State, The New World Order, erc.), and her and I got into a shouting match on the phone over Covid 19, 2 weeks ago, when I asked her if she was practicing social distancing when she was going for her daily walks (that she insists upon doing come hell or high water). She responded with shouting, which got me a little wound up, and the only thing that stopped the whole rigamarole, was me threatening to hang up on her when she started dropping F-Bombs left and right.

Everybody has pretty much figured out that China has sandbagged with their Covid 19 numbers. Are you surprised? Why would you be?, considering that they've pulled that kind of nonsense in the past. Look how long it took for most of the world to learn that anywhere for 30 to 100 million people died as a result of Mao's Great Leap Forward, and Cultural Revolution. It took decades, and the info didn't come from the CCP (Chinese Communist Party).

Covid 19 is no joke. My state (Wsconsin) is one of the hotter spots in the US with 1730 confirmed cases, and 31 dead (just shy of a 2% mortality rate), I don't think we get that kind of mortality rate for an entire flu season of, much less the 2 plus weeks since the first cases were confirmed in the state. We've already had to have at least one person quarantined at the business I work for (luckily in the Milwaukee facility, and not in the Racine facility, where I work), due to them testing positve with Covid 19. The only thing that's keeping Covid 19 from being on a par so far with the Spanish Flu of 1918-1920 is our medical technology, and even with that, we're still being seriously stretched. IMO, we are not close to the peak, and even when we do get there, the possibililty exists that like the Spanish Flu, we could have multiple waves of outbreaks.

Last edited:

Unruly Rider

Y'all are the ones believing everything you hear, see, or read... I get my news/information from sources I trust more than the nightly news or any mainstream media outlet. I'll continue to live my life just as I did before, not letting this crap change anything. Y'all can shelter in place all you want, I'm not staying inside or secluding myself... still riding with groups of people and have visited several smaller towns that are operating just like any other day. Enjoy you fears and phobia's... I'll enjoy my dangerous freedom. As for trying to convince me otherwise on this subject - you can give it a rest, you have a better chance at hitting the lottery. :cool:

K9F

There are always those that will pour scoff and scorn at others caution. Rumour and conjecture is abound but first hand experience is always best to put things into a better perspective.

I too work in a hospital and part of my many duties include accessing ‘red zones.’ As of yesterday we have 30 confirmed cases in house, 6 of which are in Intensive Care. To witness first hand someone struggling to draw each and every breath the same age as myself and see the desperation in their eyes is enough to quell any misconceptions I myself may have had about this virus.

Whatever you decide or do, stay safe everyone and if it your intention to disbelieve or treat good advice with impunity please do not spout on about it. It is unwelcome, unwarranted and foolish. Just go about your business as you please, but do it quietly and most importantly think of others that may not have the same disposition or stance as yourself!

Last edited:

Unruly Rider

Going for another 4hr ride today with a group of friends. This week has been some awesome riding, rode out to Ft. Cobb lake and ate at the Ski Boy (classic 50s/60s spot), then we put 250 miles on the bikes making a loop through all of the smaller towns in the area. Day before yesterday we had a nice ride out to Weatherford, OK and ate at a small BBQ restaurant (jalapeno brisket for the win!). Tomorrow, we have a group of about twelve co-workers meeting up at a friends place 30min outside of town for a day at his PRIVATE outdoor shooting range. Where we will be ignoring all of the social distancing non-sense and will be enjoying sending rounds down range. Sunday we are going on a large benefit ride (30+ riders) for a rider that recently lost his life due to a distracted driver. Again, miss me with all the HYPE BS - I'll be enjoying life.

Max Kool

In a group, yeah. really smart.

I understand you love to be a rebel. But if you ever get Covid-19 (and I hope you don't, serious), I won't have sympathy, thoughts, prayers or gofundme donations. And if you spread it, I'm calling you out on your ignorance.

Unruly Rider

In a group, yeah. really smart.

I understand you love to be a rebel. But if you ever get Covid-19 (and I hope you don't, serious), I won't have sympathy, thoughts, prayers or gofundme donations. And if you spread it, I'm calling you out on your ignorance.
You know what else is preventable and kills far more people EVERYDAY? Abortion, distracted drivers, smoking related cancers, obesity, suicide, high-fructose corn syrup, etc. I don't see anything being done on a large scale to reduce those numbers. The whole country went into "lockdown" over this BS, yet we haven't been able to secure our southern boarders in 40+ years. I can go on for well over an hour on this subject but I'll spare y'all the read and myself the time typing.

K9F

Maybe so but you are heading off on a complete and utter tangent. You obviously missed the important bit of my post so here it is again, in your situation and for the sake of not pouring oil on potential troubled waters the 'do it quietly' is the important bit...….please!

Whatever you decide or do, stay safe everyone and if it your intention to disbelieve or treat good advice with impunity please do not spout on about it. It is unwelcome, unwarranted and foolish.

Just go about your business as you please, but do it quietly and most importantly think of others that may not have the same disposition or stance as yourself!

Late Edit.....I wouldn't wish a dose of Covid on anyone but at times there can be people that come pretty damn close with their cavalier attitude!

head-up-butt.png

Last edited:

EllenGtrGrl

My tolerance is dwindling too but perhaps not as much as yours at the moment, but it’s getting there! Put a little less diplomatically than myself and I agree wholeheartedly.
As a footnote based on EllenGtrGrl’s post the mortality rate based against confirmed cases is farcical and is unreliable. The number of people who have it or will get it and are self isolating without having been tested will far outweigh ‘confirmed case’ numbers making the true mortality rate lower.

I can believe what you said about the mortality rate being higher. I was just going off of what I read on the State of Wisconsin website's Covid 19 data.

I'm dreading the weekly phone call, from my friend tonight after work. As I mentioned, we got into a shouting argument about the whole Covid 19 thing 2 weeks ago. Last week I made a major effort to avoid any conversations even remotely related to Covid 19, but she still grumbled at the end of the phone call, about some Covid 19 related measures that "she had some suspicion about, but she needed to examine further [she didn't have enough information about the measures, due to them being very recent] before she would comment about them." I have a sinking feeling that my friend is going to go into another of her screeds about how "Covid 19 is overblown, and being used by the Deep State to take away more of our freedoms." Look I'm not a big fan of Nanny State government, but I'm getting beyond tired of the libertarian leaning mentality my "friend" (yes, she's wearing out her friendship with me - I don't want to hear her say for the umpteen millionth time, that she is trying to open my eyes to what she thinks is the actual reality of things - she can barely run her own life), where you do nothing (because of the outside chance somebody will feel that you are stepping on their freedoms/toes), which result in reacting to problems, instead of being proactive, and leaves you having to deal with damage and casualtys. No thanks.

K9F

In adverse times there are quite a few 'needy people' that come out to play and go out of their way to seek controversy and have little or no respect for others. Quite pathetic really seeking the attention they otherwise wouldn't be able to attain. We should realistically feel sorry for them but it can be very difficult.

edgelett

the fact Unruly is simply laughing at everyone's posts shows that no-one here will change his view.
I can only guess at what 'news' sources he is getting his info from, but no doubt they're not news sources at all.
I could create a site about 'the truth' at any time, tell people i'm a retired Dr or some shit, and write whatever the hell I want and someone out there will share it to their page, then they share it and so on and so on.

Unruly is going to do the opposite of whatever anyone says cause 'merica and freeedumz and stuff.
We had a heap of American tourists where I live just recently doing exactly that - they spread the virus to one of our country towns and have infected over 50 people, because although they were sick and went to the dr and were told to self isolate, they said 'freeeedumz' and decided to enjoy their holiday spreading illness everywhere, then nicked off out the country before the flights were cancelled.

There are some people who, even if it was fricking ebola spreading, would do whatever the hell they want because they think it's all a joke.

I don't wish you harm Unruly. I just hope you don't get sick or make anyone else sick.
Personally, I'm going to ride my FTR in only groups of 2.

mark.lb

I am taking Coronavirus very seriously as I explained. But I did go for a ride on both my bikes today. I did not stop or talk with anyone. I just rode. Pennsylvania is under a “stay at home” order issued by Gov. Wolf. While I was riding I saw people riding bicycles, running, and many just taking a walk. I even saw a woman riding a horse. As long as I am respectful of others health and follow social distancing rules I can’t imagine taking a solo ride is any different than taking a walk.....

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Come on man. Just stop.

You’re literally arguing with medical professionals dealing with this shit.

you’re not going to win, I don’t know where you’re skewed logic is coming from on this matter.

you’re in the middle of no where. That’s why this hasn’t Hit your area yet. But it will eventually. And your governor will shut down your entire state just like the rest of the country.

mark.lb

Found this on Pitt Cycles Facebook page....Sounds like excellent advice!

Attachments

• 02FB74B1-3241-4AD9-A69C-186DD471DFD4.jpeg
    02FB74B1-3241-4AD9-A69C-186DD471DFD4.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 22

cupcake_mike

It doesn’t void your warranty.

I'd get that in writing from your service manager. Its not the same rules as doing your own service. Proof of a different tune stays in the computer even if you revert to back the stock tune before you take it in for engine related trouble. CYA.