Watch out for the stock chain.

Max Kool

I would never buy a bike with a belt. And besides, a belt would never work with the trellis swingarm.

Also, don’t most bike with belts have a pulley?

devinbreeding

I would never buy a bike with a belt. And besides, a belt would never work with the trellis swingarm.

Also, don’t most bike with belts have a pulley?
The RSD Indian Scout tracker is the initial inspiration for the FTR. Increasing the suspension travel, they added a tension pulley. You might be right with the swingarm but I’m happy they went with the chain. A belt is much easier on the maintenance though.

Notice the pulley mid way.
4878C743-D0DD-4BAA-853B-2053F1C70D5A.jpeg

Max Kool

The RSD Indian Scout tracker is the initial inspiration for the FTR.
Don’t be so sure about that. 😉 The FTR750 was introduced in 2016. The FTR1200 was largely developed before 2017. Both by Indian. I have a drawing dated 2017.

The Scout Superhooligan was introduced in 2017 too… but then by RSD.

I’m fairly certain the FTR was part of a multi year marketing plan by Polaris/Indian and not a spinoff from the Scout. Even the engine is older than we think… (developing engines takes years). Think Project 156…

Last edited:

Breto

Well I ran mine at a track day all day last Sunday…checked the chain tension before I left home, well in spec…checked it after I got home, still well in spec…keep them clean, lubed and adjusted correctly and there shouldn’t be a problem…has been an interesting thread this one…just wondering why there is not more damage around the countershaft. Usually that kind of let go trashes the cases around that area when the chain bunches up and gets shoved into that space. 🤔

devinbreeding

Don’t be so sure about that. 😉 The FTR750 was introduced in 2016. The FTR1200 was largely developed before 2017. Both by Indian. I have a drawing dated 2017.

The Scout Superhooligan was introduced in 2017 too… but then by RSD.

I’m fairly certain the FTR was part of a multi year marketing plan by Polaris/Indian and not a spinoff from the Scout. Even the engine is older than we think… (developing engines takes years). Think Project 156…
Right…. You are correct. I’m sure the partnership with Indian and Roland Sands was testing the waters for interest in what they had in the pipeline and the FTR was likely already in development. Would have been silly for me to say all that just making a small offhand comment about a belt drive.
I’ve been following and drooling over the creation of the FTR since before it was announced. What I was hoping for was a production of the RSD Indian Scout. What we got was so much more. Chain and all.

devinbreeding

Im so happy it has a chain, chains are easy, sprocket/gearing changes are easy, and they can handle more tq and beatings. Thats why so many people do chain conversions on belt driven bikes.
Agreed. When I romped on a dirt road with my Scout the belt chirped all the way home with all the dust. A chain is definitely better for the FTRs intended use.

kiwi dave

Perhaps you might want to consider a shaft drive motorcycle. I only have experience with Moto Guzzi models, but they work well with no issues.

I believe there were some issues with BMW models, but I would never own one, so cannot comment.

Stanger1

My 22 FTR Carbon now has only 185 miles, so still breaking it in. Had checked the Chain Tension when new, and after
the weekend ride, I could tell by how the bike was shifting that the Chain was loose now.
6" of Snow now, so I will adjust before riding it again, whenever that is.
I am also breaking in a 2021 Kawasaki H2 SX SE and it has 210 miles now.
Checked the chain when new and it still is in spec for adjustment.
I got both Bikes in Dec of 2021.
Kawasaki may use a higher quality Chain??
The Kawasaki before this one was a 2021 HZ2 SE and it too remained in spec on the chain way longer.
The Kawi's both are 200 HP Liter bikes.
The Chain on the Kawi and the FTR do look different.
I think the Kawi's run a 525 chain, so it would be a stronger chain.

Last edited:

Stanger1

Kind a Funny, but normal. The Kawi Dealer had that chain way too tight!
And the Indian dealer had the FTR just right at delivery. Good Job for Indian!
I had bought the Harley Davison Belt tension tool years ago and still works just fine for the Chain Tensioning.

Charliemurphay

My Indian dealer adjusted it before I left on the bike, and then during its first service too they said it was out of spec and brought it back in spec.

Since then I’ve checked it everytime I cleaned it and it’s not budged.

It’s my understanding that new chains can stretch a significant amount in the first couple hundred miles but after that should be good.

Webby

This is one of those topics that can strike fear in a rider. "Is my chain OK?", "Wait what's sound? Is my chain coming loose?", "Oh man there is a big bump, will my chain jump?"
It (the fear) happened to me last night. My FTR is new (250 mi) and I took it on a 100 mile trip. I lubed and checked the chain before I left and rode a spirited 50 mi and stopped. A few hours later when I was set to leave I did my normal walk around and was horrified to find my chain way more loose than I like and clearly outside of tolerance. I immediately recalled this thread and that sickening feeling came of me having to report to ya'll that it had happen to me too. I thought maybe I call AAA and see if they have a big azz metric socket or beg one of the mechanics packing up their tools to help (I was already parked in the paddock). I decided to nurse it home and it was fine but I was not until I remembered that when you get on the bike your weight take some slack out. I rode the back roads gently at 5mph slower than posted and at midnight there was nearly no traffic.

What JSendIt has gone through sucks but his sharing of his troubles has at least for me been that good reminder to be one with your bike! And for that Thanks JSendIt!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
What JSendIt has gone through sucks but his sharing of his troubles has at least for me been that good reminder to be one with your bike! And for that Thanks JSendIt!

Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results​

Op kept screwing up his chain adjustments over and over again. And I’m sure he still hasn’t learned. Nothing sucks about what he went though. He did it to himself.