Your thoughts on helmets and other essential safety gear

Merrick

What are your must-haves in terms of motorcycle safety gear? I'm not much for touring, so I just stick to the basics. I consider riding gloves and eye protection of some sort to be an essential part of my gear. I don't usually ride without them. Right now I'm looking around at helmets since I need one that'll help me take advantage of the tech features on the S model. Got any recommendations on that end?

Zigg

I try to look for helmets which can also cover my eyes well, so I don't need to invest in too many items. Shoei Neotec and AGV are what people often recommend to me. Gloves, boots, and jackets are also nice to have. Are you looking for some specific features?

K9F

Gloves, helmet and eye protection are the must haves for me. Summer I wear a half-helmet with Wiley X glasses or a modular on the Breakout. With the FTR I have decided to go back to full-face and a prerequisite of that is it must have an internal flip down sun visor. Having done quite a bit of research and secured a 10% discount off of list price I went for a Shoei GT Air II TC1. Has great reviews and ticks all my boxes.

Merrick

@Zigg I need one that's compatible with Bluetooth so I can listen to music and chat when we're riding as a group. Nothing major. Just anything that lets me say "watch out for the pothole on the left." Right now I'm considering this helmet and pairing it with this Bluetooth system. I ride my bike to work often. If it's not supposed to rain, I'm usually on my bike, so a comfortable helmet matters.

Zigg

@Merrick Sena 20S Bluetooth system is one name people seem to really like. You can't connect to that many people, but I think you mostly use it for solo travel anyway. I read some articles on helmets which were planning to integrate the Bluetooth system so you don't need to buy a separate device, but I don't know if they're already released.

K9F

I have a Sena 10S and bought that model purely for the earbud option. On open roads you can easily talk to up to three people over a mile range. With Vance and Hines Big Radius fitted I couldn't hear bu99er all through the standard speakers anyway and the loudness of the pipes kept activating the voice control as well with the modular helmet open. Nevertheless the 10S has served me well on several European trips. I also hard-wired it via a double USB connector to my SAE battery tender pigtail on longer hauls so I didn't have to worry about running out of battery during the journey on both the Sena and my phone.

Last edited:

mark.lb

I ride with a Sena 20S EVO. (Installed in my Bell helmet) Works very well with my i-phone. Very easy to make and receive phone calls and play SiriusXM while riding. Intercom works well with other Sena Bluetooth devices...

George P

I currently have a Simpson Venom, great light weight helmet, hope you all like the paint scheme

Attachments

• CF6E98E3-9512-4E39-BAF6-8610AC568A58.jpeg
    CF6E98E3-9512-4E39-BAF6-8610AC568A58.jpeg
    895.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 2E2E948F-9EFD-4B24-B32F-B7DBF9C37016.jpeg
    2E2E948F-9EFD-4B24-B32F-B7DBF9C37016.jpeg
    814.8 KB · Views: 17
  • D453FB5B-0178-4611-83BC-995A8CD37CB0.jpeg
    D453FB5B-0178-4611-83BC-995A8CD37CB0.jpeg
    825.6 KB · Views: 16
  • C90998AF-1EE3-4A81-A635-2D58282D48AA.jpeg
    C90998AF-1EE3-4A81-A635-2D58282D48AA.jpeg
    790.1 KB · Views: 16

MarkX

I always wear a helmet and go for the best fit... for me that usually means Shoei, so I have an open face with integrated clear drop-down visor and Bobster reactive goggles for when the sun comes out, this is for the 'cafe racer' days out, otherwise it's a Shoei full face (one matt black, one tangerine orange) for the sports bikes. All my helmets have Sena 10S bluetooth for when I need the occasional voice navigation guidance or to make a call. Our UK weather demands jackets, gloves and boots and I have a selection of Wax cotton, leather or mesh all with D3O armour in the right places. I look on enviously at those that ride in tshirts and shorts in the Summer but I've been down on the tarmac enough times in my 45 years of riding to know that gravel rash hurts and takes longer to heal than a simple broken bone, so I dress for the slide and look forward with relish to the refreshments at the end of the ride!

rhledge

Shoei modular, Sena 30K. And ATGATT. Lived in Hawaii, which doesn't require helmets, and tried riding without. Once. Terrifying!

Max Kool

For casual riding I just wear motorcycle sneakers, jeans and a leather jacket (with protection). For full day rides without any chores however, you can't beat full leathers... super comfy, doesn't flap, and of course, safe.
IMG_7690.jpeg

edgelett

I'd love a set of full leathers but they're pretty pricey here.
I always ride in the following:
Kevlar lined jeans (Draggins), leather boots, mesh armoured jacket or leather jacket, leather boots, full face helmet.

Blue1

Full face helmet, jacket with armor, gloves, boots, jeans...I figure some road rash on my legs will be the least of my worries.

SURLY

Full face helmet 10 years ago I landed face first on tarmac at 50 miles an hour and woke up in hospital 2 days later and when I got the helmet back the front of it was shredded had jacket with full protection which was 2 weeks old and the paramedics cut off me also levis which left my knees stripped of flesh even with the jacket I was black and blue all up my back.
Gloves and eye protection are a no brainer.
Now will always use full face helmet proper bike jacket and knee pads under Levis.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Look up bohn pants. I wear them under my jeans if I’m not wearing leathers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk