Your thoughts on helmets and other essential safety gear

mark.lb

Got my Knox gloves today. They look like a great pair of summer gloves, unfortunately it is the start of winter in Pittsburgh. I did a lot of research and (soul search) before this purchase. Last October 2- I had a crash that resulted in two broken arms, two shattered wrists and a broken left leg. I feel like I got worse than I deserved under the circumstances of the accident. The Scaphoid Protection System engineered into these gloves may have saved me a lot of damage and pain. I put 10,000 miles on 3 motorcycles this summer (post accident) - Please everyone Ride Safe....

Attachments

• 1BC4FF02-94FF-488D-9EBB-1BF166B51D44.jpeg
    1BC4FF02-94FF-488D-9EBB-1BF166B51D44.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 5FD319CC-F0A4-45AE-93AC-8FFF94C2386E.jpeg
    5FD319CC-F0A4-45AE-93AC-8FFF94C2386E.jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 18
  • BA743A51-19AA-4A98-AF64-637AB5D815E2.jpeg
    BA743A51-19AA-4A98-AF64-637AB5D815E2.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Charliemurphay

Got my Knox gloves today. They look like a great pair of summer gloves, unfortunately it is the start of winter in Pittsburgh. I did a lot of research and (soul search) before this purchase. Last October 2- I had a crash that resulted in two broken arms, two shattered wrists and a broken left leg. I feel like I got worse than I deserved under the circumstances of the accident. The Scaphoid Protection System engineered into these gloves may have saved me a lot of damage and pain. I put 10,000 miles on 3 motorcycles the summer (post accident) - Please everyone Ride Safe....
If I understand the diagram correctly they are essentially wrist sliders so your hands don’t catch and throw your body weigh/impact force onto your arm+wrists? Is that the idea? I like the concept of them. How do they feel on the handlebar, interference with grip at all?

This year was the year that I had decided to properly invest in some decent equipment and after a lot of research I ended up with a Helite Airbag Leather Jacket. It’s heavy, but really comfortable. It has a removable liner but even with it in, there’s plenty of airflow when moving to be chilly at 40°F.

For lower body I wear Bohn Body armor which are basically well vented long Johns with armor for knees, shins, thigh, hip, and tailbone. I wear these under jeans and they are comfortable on all but the hottest days. Only when stopped do they start getting warm.

Gloves I picked up a pair of Indian Neoprene flat track gloves from the dealer. They are comfortable and surprisingly warm, which is fine by me because my hands tend to get cold first anyways and I don’t plan on installing grip heaters. They only have armor in the knuckle but feel thick and heavy duty.

S2Davies

I've been using the Knox gloves for a couple of years now and for me they did take some getting used to. I'm reasonably tall and used to ride everything in a sort of motor cross style with elbows out, the little Scaphoid sliders did make me straighten up my grip on the bars which in turn pulled my elbows in, so I guess they improved my riding position on the bike. Once I got used to them I loved them.

mark.lb

That is exactly correct. Knox developed the Scaphoid Protection System for MotoGP racing gloves. The whole idea is - in a crash the rider wants to “slide on” not “bite into” the pavement and tumble.
In my case I had a low speed accident (10-15mph). A woman exiting a beer store in traffic did not see me. She made a left hand turn into me. My front tire hit her car slightly ahead of her driver’s side front wheel. (USA). I flew over the bars, across her hood and the first thing that hit the ground were the heels of my palms (scaphoid bone). My leather gloves bit the pavement ( did not slide) and my wrists/arms took all the impact. The wrists shattered and both arm broke.

mark.lb

I took them for a short ride and they felt great. I didn’t even know the scaphoid sliders were even there....

FTR London

Lids? - I've always had an Arai head...

IMG_20210707_101122502_HDR.jpg

But the Shoei Ex-Zero was not only a no-brainer for the FTR, found that it actually fitted really well too.

IMG_20210707_101318090_HDR.jpg

Prefer my Scott goggles to the integral draw down 'fighter pilot' visor though.

IMG_20210605_151411910_HDR.jpg

Tend to ride the FTR in jeans and one of my many leather jackets together with my engineer boots or riding sneakers, but still use these on the track and for the occasional scratching on the road....

IMG_20210707_101552381.jpg

IMG_20210707_101532535.jpg

Last edited:

Breto

01634B4E-2210-44C0-9DAE-C6DCB07EE6BC.jpeg
My Helmet of choice…goes perfectly with the FTR and my Indian jacket…very comfy…Sena SMH10

edgelett

Did you give Shark a look Tash?…🤔
don't have the spare cash right now mate. might have to pay tax this year due to both of us changing jobs so holding on to funds till we get our returns done.
but I will sus them out when I'm able to buy.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Not a lot know it, but if you look inside, directly behind the chin vent. there is a little vshapped rubber piece, pull it out for summer

Staedtler

My Klim K1R carbon helmet with Indian touring jacket. Have Knox Aegis back protector with added chest protector, Klim K52 jeans, Klim titanium gloves too. Have Indian Throttle leather jacket for nice weather days too.. Oh and Drift Stealth helmet cam for cagers’ indesecrations..
Alpinestars touring boots.

Attachments

• B657E341-C258-482C-AFC1-CE3E3ABA4ACF.jpeg
    B657E341-C258-482C-AFC1-CE3E3ABA4ACF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

K9F

Ironically enough I have used a Dainese back protector since purchasing it as a 'slim Jim medium' in 1995. It has given me 26 years sterling service and never used in anger. Nevertheless having got fatter with age it still just managed to fit but I could not breathe. Just retired it and collected my new one from the Post Office an hour ago. Offered my old one free gratis to a mate who is on a strict 'intake regime' told him "he could diet his way into it!" Yes the new one is L-XXL size so I can eat more myself!

😂😇😎

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

chino

I work at a certain motorcycle gear dealer and from my experience the BEST helmets that have no issues and are consistent and well made are the 2 Japanese helmet giants, Arai and Shoei. Everything else is made in china and it shows. AGV helmets always have glued parts coming off before it even comes out the box, faulty chinstraps with the bells, scorpions have their EPS foam coming loose after a few wears. Granted there are always good AGV or Bells BUT there are A LOT of inconsistencies. Just make sure you get fitted PROPERLY, a good shoei doesn't do any good if its too big on your head and flies off.

Jackets - just make sure it has armor ( most likely no back protector as only ICON includes it) an a mesh/textile jacket will be good for summer into fall.

Gloves - anything that's comfortable and has palm and knuckle protection

Pants - riding pants breath better but jeans look regular and not too crazy

Boots - anything that covers the shins are better than low top boots BUT less easier to walk in. boots comes down to whichever you prefer just make sure it has ankle, heel, and toe reinforcement.

Other gear - Bluetooth units such as CARDO or SENA (Cardo sells better than Sena at my store but go with the same brand your friends have), Airbag jackets like the Dainese D air or Astars Tech air for extra safeness

Currently rocking -
Arai Corsair X or Shoei X-14 helmet
Dainese super race leather jacket
Dainese super rider D-dry jacket
Bull it jeans or Alpinestar leather pants
Dainese Torque 3 boots or icon hooligan boots

TLDR; Go in a store and try stuff on and get opinions from experienced riders. if you have a cyclegear or a J&p cycles near you they will have some stuff to give you an idea of how much to spend or what you need.