Your thoughts on helmets and other essential safety gear

Breto

I work at a certain motorcycle gear dealer and from my experience the BEST helmets that have no issues and are consistent and well made are the 2 Japanese helmet giants, Arai and Shoei. Everything else is made in china and it shows. AGV helmets always have glued parts coming off before it even comes out the box, faulty chinstraps with the bells, scorpions have their EPS foam coming loose after a few wears. Granted there are always good AGV or Bells BUT there are A LOT of inconsistencies. Just make sure you get fitted PROPERLY, a good shoei doesn't do any good if its too big on your head and flies off.

Jackets - just make sure it has armor ( most likely no back protector as only ICON includes it) an a mesh/textile jacket will be good for summer into fall.

Gloves - anything that's comfortable and has palm and knuckle protection

Pants - riding pants breath better but jeans look regular and not too crazy

Boots - anything that covers the shins are better than low top boots BUT less easier to walk in. boots comes down to whichever you prefer just make sure it has ankle, heel, and toe reinforcement.

Other gear - Bluetooth units such as CARDO or SENA (Cardo sells better than Sena at my store but go with the same brand your friends have), Airbag jackets like the Dainese D air or Astars Tech air for extra safeness

Currently rocking -
Arai Corsair X or Shoei X-14 helmet
Dainese super race leather jacket
Dainese super rider D-dry jacket
Bull it jeans or Alpinestar leather pants
Dainese Torque 3 boots or icon hooligan boots

TLDR; Go in a store and try stuff on and get opinions from experienced riders. if you have a cyclegear or a J&p cycles near you they will have some stuff to give you an idea of how much to spend or what you need.
I’ve never had a shoei head…they just don’t fit me nice…always pressure across the forehead…had no trouble ever with AGV…quality is always good…Aria was my go to in earlier days

FTR London

I’ve never had a shoei head…they just don’t fit me nice…always pressure across the forehead…had no trouble ever with AGV…quality is always good…Aria was my go to in earlier days
As I said earlier in this thread, I was exactly the same, but my Shoei ex-zero is a perfect fit.

kiwi dave

I used Nolan helmets for years, size XL for my fat head!

Then when supplies were non existent I tried a Shoei. A much nicer helmet, and I was able to downsize to L. My only issue is remembering where the lever for the internal dark visor is, the Nolan position is still predominant for my feeble brain to comprehend!

FTR London

I used Nolan helmets for years, size XL for my fat head!

Then when supplies were non existent I tried a Shoei. A much nicer helmet, and I was able to downsize to L. My only issue is remembering where the lever for the internal dark visor is, the Nolan position is still predominant for my feeble brain to comprehend!
Are you in New Zealand Dave? If so, whereabouts?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Also note, not all models of brand “x” fit the same, and not all models of brand “x” use the same quality of materials.

a lot of these companies make entry level helmets and top of the line helmets, agv and bell being two main ones. I hate the lower end bells and agvs, but their top tier models are superb.

although bang for your buck, you couldn’t beat the gt-air

Charliemurphay

For what it’s worth the Bell Star MIPS, is the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever had. And the transition visor is awesome.

Wayne

For helmets I mostly use Shoei. I have a few. My off-road helmet is Troy Lee Design but underneath its actually a Shoei. I just got a new Shoe RF1400 Prolouge yesterday since my other Shoe full face turns five years old next month. I try to replace my helmets every five years. I also have a Shoei RJ 3/4 open face which I wear occasionally when its very hot but mostly on my Street Glide. I have worn Arai's in the past and they are an excellent helmet as well.

For boots I stick with Alpinestars; Tech 10 for off-road and Alpinestar Drystar which are supper comfortable for street but provide little shin protection which is an issue with my Pro Taper foot pegs. I occasionally hit the teeth on the pegs with my shin and give a little flesh each time. I need a little more shin protection for sure. Gloves are a must; I won't ride without them. The type depends on what type of riding and the weather.

When I ride off road I wear MSR and Fox MX pants, jerseys, Leatt, Thor, Scott, etc. I spend a lot on protection but it is money well spent.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
That’s why I switch helmets once a year. I can get enough for my old ones when I sell them to ease the pain of the new one.

R. Warshawsky

Ironically enough I have used a Dainese back protector since purchasing it as a 'slim Jim medium' in 1995. It has given me 26 years sterling service and never used in anger. Nevertheless having got fatter with age it still just managed to fit but I could not breathe. Just retired it and collected my new one from the Post Office an hour ago. Offered my old one free gratis to a mate who is on a strict 'intake regime' told him "he could diet his way into it!" Yes the new one is L-XXL size so I can eat more myself!

😂😇😎

View attachment 3996

View attachment 3997
You're not fat Mal, just properly filled out... welcome to old age...lol

edgelett

i
You sell second hand helmets??…really??…wow man
if they're only a year or two old then yeah they're pretty safe to sell.
But if they're 5 years old the best place for them is the bin.
Head to a cash converters mate - they have 2nd hand helmets in there all the time cause they don't care lol.

Breto

yeah that’s the problem. IMHO no helmet should be sold second hand. Helmets will start to bed to your head shape very quickly. Even in twelve months the on off and strapping in and out plays a big part in general wear of the lining and the inner shell. I’ve never bought or owned a second hand helmet and I don’t think I ever will. I would also encourage my fellow riders not to as well. I think Max may have touched on helmet pricing and bottom and top of scale. No matter what price you pay for a hemet, in Australia anyway, they are all tested the same to make the ADR,s. You do get what you pay for as far as quality is concerned, something that Mike touched on I think, but bottom line is you shouldn’t have to buy second hand in today’s market. Once again just my thoughts…The bin, I’ve made lights and pot plants out of them and put them on a shelf behind the bar. 101 uses…👍😎