Your thoughts on helmets and other essential safety gear

edgelett

yeah that’s the problem. IMHO no helmet should be sold second hand.
I've never sold a 2nd hand helmet nor have I ever owned one. when we upgrade, we use our previous helmets as spares just in case (99% of the time they are never used again) and the older 'spares' go to the dump.
but I can see that a brand new helmet, after only a year of limited use they would be ok still.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
You sell second hand helmets??…really??…wow man
Yeah, all the time, nothing wrong with it, I take a picture of the date stamp from when it was made, so nothing is hidden, not like im trying to pass off a 5 year old helmet as new.

If the helmet is never dropped and worn for a year, there is nothing wrong with selling it, especially high end helmets. I would rather buy a year old high end helmet for $250 than a bottom of the barrel new helmet for $200.

For instance I just bought a TLD Carbon SE4 helmet that was worn a couple times for $250, and new they are $675. Pretty sure it will protect my head.

kiwi dave

Yeah, all the time, nothing wrong with it, I take a picture of the date stamp from when it was made, so nothing is hidden, not like im trying to pass off a 5 year old helmet as new.

A couple of days ago, I placed four helmets on my front lawn ready to be picked up by the local council's non-organic collection. They lasted less than five minutes before they disappeared.

donlycan

@Merrick Sena 20S Bluetooth system is one name people seem to really like. You can't connect to that many people, but I think you mostly use it for solo travel anyway. I read some articles on helmets which were planning to integrate the Bluetooth system so you don't need to buy a separate device, but I don't know if they're already released.
I have a Sena integrated in my Shoei helmet for 2 years now.

edgelett

About SNELL....
Interestingly, Snell means nothing here in Aus.
We have our own ratings:

• AS 1698; or
  • AS/NZ 1698
And in 2016, we finally had ECE standard 22.05 added so we have access to a broader range of helmets.

so doesn't matter what the Snell rating is - if it doesn't have the AU sticker or ECE rating, you can't wear it.

Oh and just for a laugh, this is how our state department of transport explains the difference between full face and open face:

Types of helmets​

You can choose between:

• full-face or flip-up styles, which have a chin bar to cover the lower face and jaw, or
  • open face helmet which leaves your face exposed so there is no protection for the chin and jaw. Many open face helmets offer no eye protection, so you could get hit in the eye by a rock or large bug causing injury or a loss of control; even rain can cause pain and difficulty in seeing clearly.

Breto

About SNELL....

That was really interesting…back in the day in Aus, the Snell and DOT standards were the highest ratings for helmet safety that you could get. At that stage the ADR wasn’t established yet…even in dirt riding we had a list of approved helmets that you could have on the track for competition. Standards such as Snell, DOT, ECE and even some from Japan were listed as approved alongside the now newly adopted ADR…so came the time when all helmets sold in Aus had to legally meet the ADR and any that didn’t have the ADR sticker could not be legally sold…so for us, helmets like the Simpson which I loved would never make our shelves to be sold because they didn’t meet the vision requirements of our ADR. Sad because I thought they looked awesome…👍😎🇦🇺

Max Kool

Interestingly, many (most) of the flip-up helmets are only approved with the chinbar down, as the chinbar in the up position can work as a lever pulling your head backwards in case of an accident.